KIWI SINK Dig--Sunday 21 April 2013--We were a little early but took time
to visit with Kiwi and his new really, really nice dog. A few of us went to
the bottom of the pit and contemplated the possibilities. They all involved
mud. An area (based mostly on practicality, as is our wont) was selected to
work on, that being the lowest part of the floor, comprising about 1/4th of
the flatish area and that demarcated by immovable rock and that being about
half of the pit bottom. The rest we won't talk about. Picks and digging
hoes were soon in action facilitating the timely filling of 7 barrels and
the upturning of several nuisance rocks and the collecting of bugs, some
never before touched by the hand of man. A halt was called and the winch
truck brought in. My notes say that 6 loaded barrels were hoisted and
dumped and 3 rocks (M) and 1 rock (L) were also hoisted and consigned to
the "Has Been Hoisted" Rock Pile before the winch approached critical mass
and lifting was suspended. The time was 12:30. Another attack was made down
in the pit and most of the barrels refilled. A couple of rocks impeded
progress so, an hour having passed another halt was called to hoist again
and to eat lunch. Two rocks (XL) and 1 rock (M) and 4 loaded barrels were
hoisted and their contents disposed of. The day was still young and the
diggers still eager. We were making good progress in the easy digging floor
material. Before the afternoon was over we'd hoisted out another barrel and
filled 5 more. Totals for the day were: 16 barrels loaded, 5 of which were
left in the pit for later lifting. There were also 3 large rocks and 4
medium ones taken to the surface--sometimes doubled, sometimes piggybacked
with a barrel, and sometimes all lonesome and alone. We'd worked our very
selves into a hole digging toward the mysteries of the clean-washed
breakdown chamber where only 2 digger dudes can fit to work--they should be
friends--and barrel space was at a premium. It was nearly 5 before we got
it all wrapped up and put away. Participants included:
     Diggers
Don Broussard
Gill Ediger
Galen Falgout
Ernest Garza
Andy Gluesenkamp
Terry Raines
Ron Rutherford
John Schneider

Jubal Grubb stopped by to see what we were up to.

This was the most productive day we've had so far. Thanks to all who helped.