From: Jen. [mailto:bigredfo...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 6:12 PM
To: casto...@gmail.com; cavewe...@windstream.net
Cc: Steve Peerman; swr; Penny Boston
Subject: Re: [SWR] Fw: Breaking News: WNS in Mammoth Cave NP

The BLM made a management decision to close their caves that were determined to
be colonial bat roosts.  They did not close all the caves, they closed less
than 1% of caves in NM, and they have worked with cavers to allow exceptions
for research.  No-one is happy, but we are doing the best we can in a difficult
situation.

The Mammoth Cave WNS Response plan should answer your questions as to why that
cave is still open.
http://www.nps.gov/maca/parkmgmt/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile
<http://www.nps.gov/maca/parkmgmt/loader.cfm?csModule=security/getfile&PageID=330269>
 &PageID=330269.   They have closed their hibernacula to visitation.  They have
a very thorough plan that describes how and why they allow visitation to
certain areas.

Though it hasn't been proven that humans have spread WNS, no-one can prove that
cavers can't spread it (unlikely does not equal impossible, and biologists have
succeeded in the lab).  Closing major hibernacula 900 miles away makes more
sense than closing caves 10 miles away from the source.  Once WNS is within
normal bat movement, the theoretical human vector is not an issue (except for
transmission to outside areas).

As cavers, we typically want to do whatever we can to protect the bats that
share the caves with us.  We stay out of major hibernacula in the winter and
maternity roosts in summer.  Now we need to make sure we don't spread spores,
since we don't know yet if a one in a million transmission might happen.  You
may not agree with how an agency is managing the resource they have been
trusted to manage, but I will hope that discussing it ad nauseam will lead to
re-evaluations and improvements.

Jen

  _____