Mike et al:  I have a comment to make on what you just suggested and I agree
with you 100%.  Years ago when the battle was on in Congress over the removal
of lands from mineral exploration (drilling for oil) north of the CACA NP
boundary because of Lech, I actually went to visit four congress people in
Washington, DC.  I was already in the area because of doing some craft shows
just north of DC, so took an extra day and made appointments to visit some
Senators and Representatives.  The only real Senator I got to see was Domenici
back when he was still in office.  I also visited Bingaman's office (I think
that's whose it was) and those of two of my senators from Maine.  It was
enlightening in many ways.  For one thing, I was probably one of the only
actual citizens (as opposed to corporate lobbyists, lawyers and other cutthroat
scum that passes for citizens) who came in to speak my mind on the issue
directly to congress people.  Domenici seemed mildly amused that someone other
than a lawyer/lobbyist came in, but there I was, a caver, loaded with my own
photos to illustrate the beauty that is Lech as an example of what would be
lost  if the unthinkable occurred.  I think the associate I met with in
Bingaman's office was livid that I was wasting her important time by *being a
mere citizen* and addressing my grievances to her.  I can still see her flared
nostrils over the insolence of trying to express my views about saving Lech!!
Anyway, my two senators from Maine seemed very interested as I was likely the
only
person from Maine to even bring it up.

I realize that in regards to that issue that we didn't quite get everything we
wished for.  Yates still drilled, hit a dry hole and plugged it up with no
damage to known caves.  Considering all that, we lucked out.  Now we face a
different threat that comes in the form of legal people trying, for better or
worse, to save bats.  They do so by laying the blame of the spread of the
disease directly at our feet.  At least we agree with them that the spread of
the disease is bad, but where we disagree is that it is spread by a human
vector.  If they're going to mount a legal attack on us, I agree that we need
to respond to them in kind.  Very few of us are lawyers, but that doesn't mean
that we can't approach our own senators and representatives with our own
and that we are doing all we can to prevent it through our own self-imposed
decon- strategies, but be forceful in saying that the human vector has not been
proven anywhere by anybody.  Clearly the closing of caves is more detrimental
to them (the article on Fern, for example, is a good illustration) than
allowing for controlled visits.  If we don't make that point to them, we will
lose out to CBD without a fight.  If all caves are closed to everyone, that's
like having a fire and locking out all the firemen to put it out!!

There is no reason why we can't use our constitutional rights to address our
senators and representatives about what the CBD is doing.  As you said, Mike,
it's the numbers and we have far more of them than CBD does at the moment.

Peter