texascavers Digest 3 Aug 2013 12:54:50 -0000 Issue 1813

Topics (messages 22299 through 22320):

Re: Gill Edigar
        22299 by: Steve Keselik
        22300 by: ellie.thoene.gmail.com
        22301 by: James Jasek
        22302 by: Galen Falgout
        22303 by: James Jasek
        22311 by: Justin Haynes
        22312 by: Phil Winkler

Mallory update, 8/1/13
        22304 by: Emily McGowan
        22305 by: Galen Falgout
        22307 by: Mimi Jasek
        22309 by: James Jasek
        22310 by: Sheryl Rieck
        22314 by: caverarch
        22315 by: Mimi Jasek

Need to Borrow: Hospital Bed in AUSTIN
        22306 by: ellie watson
        22313 by: goody twoshoes

Re: [SWR] Fort Stanton Cave Study Project receives international award
        22308 by: Lee H. Skinner

Re: Mallory
        22316 by: David
        22317 by: Bill Steele
        22318 by: Don Arburn

Mallory update, 8/2/13
        22319 by: Emily McGowan

Re: [greater_houston_grotto] Mallory update, 8/2/13
        22320 by: caverarch

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
I don't know how the Jew thing got started but let's keep to the subject at
hand,far as I can tell Gill's no Jew. All the best Gill on a speedy
recovery.

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM, Phil Winkler <pw...@dca.net> wrote:

> Oops! Some of us were never good spelers. :)
>
> On Aug 1, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Louise Power wrote:
>
> I assume you're all talking about a concussion, *not* a circumcision (two
> entirely different ends of the body). I'm surprised Gill could get a
> concussion with his hard head.
>
> Louise
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:14:29 -0500
> From: wavyca...@gmail.com
> To: pw...@dca.net
> CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Gill Edigar
>
> I hear it's really tough to have a concision after the age of puberty...
>
> (But you certainly don't have to be jewish to have a jewish obstetrician.)
>

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Phil Winkler <pw...@dca.net> wrote:
>
> When I had my concision I couldn't walk for a year.
>

> At 8/1/2013 11:27 AM -0500, you wrote:
>
> Yeah - I guess they decided to do the concision just to be safe....
>

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM, R D Milhollin <rdmilhol...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> I didn't realize he got hurt THERE. I didn't even know he was Jewish.
>

> From: Galen Falgout <galenfalg...@yahoo.com >

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Gill is home and on the road to recovery! He could walk and stand around today.
Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thank you for the update. How is his pain

Jim
On Aug 1, 2013, at 8:42 PM, ellie.tho...@gmail.com wrote:

Gill is home and on the road to recovery! He could walk and stand around today. Thanks for all the kind thoughts.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Some of us with new phones have a problem with the auto correct.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 1, 2013, at 7:10 PM, Phil Winkler <pw...@dca.net> wrote:

> Oops! Some of us were never good spelers. :)
>
> On Aug 1, 2013, at 7:18 PM, Louise Power wrote:
>
>> I assume you're all talking about a concussion, not a circumcision (two
>> entirely different ends of the body). I'm surprised Gill could get a
>> concussion with his hard head.
>>
>> Louise
>>
>> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:14:29 -0500
>> From: wavyca...@gmail.com
>> To: pw...@dca.net
>> CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
>> Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Gill Edigar
>>
>> I hear it's really tough to have a concision after the age of puberty...
>>
>> (But you certainly don't have to be jewish to have a jewish obstetrician.)
>>

>> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Phil Winkler <pw...@dca.net> wrote:
>> When I had my concision I couldn't walk for a year.
>>

>> At 8/1/2013 11:27 AM -0500, you wrote:
>> Yeah - I guess they decided to do the concision just to be safe....
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM, R D Milhollin <rdmilhol...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>> I didn't realize he got hurt THERE. I didn't even know he was Jewish.
>>

>> From: Galen Falgout <galenfalg...@yahoo.com >

--- Begin Message --- The auto correct in the iPhone has a mind of its own, and changes some thought and words to totally different meaning and a times really nasty words.

Jim

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 13:14:29 -0500
From: wavyca...@gmail.com
To: pw...@dca.net
CC: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] Gill Edigar

On Aug 1, 2013 5:10 PM, "Phil Winkler" <pw...@dca.net> wrote:

> Oops! Some of us were never good spelers. :)

I'm sure you are an excellent speleor.  :-) (spelophile = cave lover?)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
A collector of cave books = speleobibliophile :)

At 8/2/2013 08:11 AM -0700, Justin Haynes wrote:

On Aug 1, 2013 5:10 PM, "Phil Winkler" <<mailto:pw...@dca.net>pw...@dca.net> wrote:

> Oops! Some of us were never good spelers. :)

I'm sure you are an excellent speleor.  :-) (spelophile = cave lover?)

No virus found in this message.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>From her mother, Vickie.  This is REALLY good news!!

It was a great day today! Mallory actually responded to a command 3 out of
four times and this is coming from the PT people and not just her mom. The
PT held up a stuffed bat that was given as a gift. They told her to grab the
bat. It takes her several second to respond but she did it. I was shocked
This is the first time I have seen her respond to a command. Apparently, she
did it yesterday but I wasn't there. They came out and asked me "Did you see
that? I even had to ask my sister Patti if it was real. I cried. There has
been no way of knowing the extent of any brain damage until now and it is
not something we have really thought about because it was too scary. But she
is understanding and responding. A long way to go but what a wonderful
milestone. We are thrilled.

Now they are moving fast. They sat her up on the edge of the bed for about
45 minutes. With 3 of them, they stood her up for 2 minutes. Both PT and OT
gave us exercises to do 2-3 times a day. They had me do them. I was so
scared to hurt her, so I told them they had to reassure me that I can move
her now. After not being able to touch her, talk loud or stimulate her
because of brain pressure problems, this about face is hard to comprehend.
The good thing was I learned the foot exercises before I saw Mal move and I
learned them fine. Well after Mal moved, OT tried to teach the shoulder
exercises. I couldn't quite get them down. Such roller coaster emotions.
Luckily, Patti was there and helped me write them down and remember them.
Tonight, she actually did the shoulder exercises and I watched.

They will come back tomorrow and teach me again. The foot and leg exercises
we were able to do together. They are talking about moving her soon. She
will eventually go to the Tirr Rehabilitation Center. This is the best in
the country. this is where they brought Gabby Gifford, the politician, after
she got shot. Everybody told me to get her in there, it was the best, even
the guy in the bank when I was putting power of attorney on her account. I
told the doctor that's where I wanted her three nights ago when it was first
mentioned. He laughed, because I don't think he was expecting me to express
my preference so emphatically, but he said OK. Memorial Hermann, her
hospital, owns that facility. For a short time,the Tirr PT is working in
Memorial Hermann so it was Tirr employees who worked on her yesterday and
today. They know their stuff and said she needs to come over as soon as they
clear up the remaining medical problems. She also tracked her eyes in a
mirror and later when the chaplain came, she talked to Mal after talking to
me. She told her to blink two times and Mal did. Say those prayers of
thanksgiving. This was a glorious day.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What wonderful news! Small steps

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2013, at 6:31 AM, "Emily McGowan" <emm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From her mother, Vickie.  This is REALLY good news!!
>
> It was a great day today! Mallory actually responded to a command 3 out of
> four times and this is coming from the PT people and not just her mom. The
> PT held up a stuffed bat that was given as a gift. They told her to grab the
> bat. It takes her several second to respond but she did it. I was shocked
> This is the first time I have seen her respond to a command. Apparently, she
> did it yesterday but I wasn't there. They came out and asked me "Did you see
> that? I even had to ask my sister Patti if it was real. I cried. There has
> been no way of knowing the extent of any brain damage until now and it is
> not something we have really thought about because it was too scary. But she
> is understanding and responding. A long way to go but what a wonderful
> milestone. We are thrilled.
>
> Now they are moving fast. They sat her up on the edge of the bed for about
> 45 minutes. With 3 of them, they stood her up for 2 minutes. Both PT and OT
> gave us exercises to do 2-3 times a day. They had me do them. I was so
> scared to hurt her, so I told them they had to reassure me that I can move
> her now. After not being able to touch her, talk loud or stimulate her
> because of brain pressure problems, this about face is hard to comprehend.
> The good thing was I learned the foot exercises before I saw Mal move and I
> learned them fine. Well after Mal moved, OT tried to teach the shoulder
> exercises. I couldn't quite get them down. Such roller coaster emotions.
> Luckily, Patti was there and helped me write them down and remember them.
> Tonight, she actually did the shoulder exercises and I watched.
>
> They will come back tomorrow and teach me again. The foot and leg exercises
> we were able to do together. They are talking about moving her soon. She
> will eventually go to the Tirr Rehabilitation Center. This is the best in
> the country. this is where they brought Gabby Gifford, the politician, after
> she got shot. Everybody told me to get her in there, it was the best, even
> the guy in the bank when I was putting power of attorney on her account. I
> told the doctor that's where I wanted her three nights ago when it was first
> mentioned. He laughed, because I don't think he was expecting me to express
> my preference so emphatically, but he said OK. Memorial Hermann, her
> hospital, owns that facility. For a short time,the Tirr PT is working in
> Memorial Hermann so it was Tirr employees who worked on her yesterday and
> today. They know their stuff and said she needs to come over as soon as they
> clear up the remaining medical problems. She also tracked her eyes in a
> mirror and later when the chaplain came, she talked to Mal after talking to
> me. She told her to blink two times and Mal did. Say those prayers of
> thanksgiving. This was a glorious day.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Amazing and glorious news!

Mimi Jasek

> [...]

> she got shot. Everybody told me to get her in there, it was the best, even
> the guy in the bank when I was putting power of attorney on her account. I
> told the doctor that's where I wanted her three nights ago when it was first
> mentioned. He laughed, because I don't think he was expecting me to express
> my preference so emphatically, but he said OK. Memorial Hermann, her
> hospital, owns that facility. For a short time,the Tirr PT is working in
> Memorial Hermann so it was Tirr employees who worked on her yesterday and
> today. They know their stuff and said she needs to come over as soon as they
> clear up the remaining medical problems. She also tracked her eyes in a
> mirror and later when the chaplain came, she talked to Mal after talking to
> me. She told her to blink two times and Mal did. Say those prayers of

Wonderful news

> [...]

> she got shot. Everybody told me to get her in there, it was the best, even
> the guy in the bank when I was putting power of attorney on her account. I
> told the doctor that's where I wanted her three nights ago when it was first
> mentioned. He laughed, because I don't think he was expecting me to express
> my preference so emphatically, but he said OK. Memorial Hermann, her
> hospital, owns that facility. For a short time,the Tirr PT is working in
> Memorial Hermann so it was Tirr employees who worked on her yesterday and
> today. They know their stuff and said she needs to come over as soon as they
> clear up the remaining medical problems. She also tracked her eyes in a
> mirror and later when the chaplain came, she talked to Mal after talking to
> me. She told her to blink two times and Mal did. Say those prayers of

That is the most wonderful news! Thank you for the update.

Sheryl

Sent from my iPhone-Resistance was futile.

> [...]

> she got shot. Everybody told me to get her in there, it was the best, even
> the guy in the bank when I was putting power of attorney on her account. I
> told the doctor that's where I wanted her three nights ago when it was first
> mentioned. He laughed, because I don't think he was expecting me to express
> my preference so emphatically, but he said OK. Memorial Hermann, her
> hospital, owns that facility. For a short time,the Tirr PT is working in
> Memorial Hermann so it was Tirr employees who worked on her yesterday and
> today. They know their stuff and said she needs to come over as soon as they
> clear up the remaining medical problems. She also tracked her eyes in a
> mirror and later when the chaplain came, she talked to Mal after talking to
> me. She told her to blink two times and Mal did. Say those prayers of

"TIRR" referred to by Vickie is the  Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and
Research at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Here is there main Web address:

http://tirr.memorialhermann.org/about-tirr-memorial-hermann/

Roger Moore

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
My boss used to be a nurse, and when she moved to Houston, her first job there
was at TIRR! She said Mallory couldn't be going to a better place:)

Mimi Jasek

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2013, at 2:33 PM, caverarch <cavera...@aol.com> wrote:

> "TIRR" referred to by Vickie is the  Texas Institute for Rehabilitation and
> Research at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Here is there main Web address:
>
> http://tirr.memorialhermann.org/about-tirr-memorial-hermann/
>
> Roger Moore

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Does anyone in Austin have an electric, adjustable hospital bed? Please let
me or Gill know. He is looking to get one soon.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
a  bed  has been  found  and is  on  its way  home.

------------------------------
On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 7:10 AM CDT ellie watson wrote:

>Does anyone in Austin have an electric, adjustable hospital bed? Please let
>me or Gill know. He is looking to get one soon.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This is another similar article from The Ruidoso News:

http://tinyurl.com/k92g37f

Lee Skinner

Fort Stanton Cave Study Project receives international award

From the Ruidoso Free Press:

http://tinyurl.com/moxlcts

Lee Skinner

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Early Friday evening, I visited with Mallory's mom for about 2 minutes in
the waiting room.

I didn't get to see Mallory, but another caver was there earlier.

Mallory's dad will be with her this weekend.

Mallory's mom is hopeful they will move her out of ICU by Monday, but just
to a regular room until she gets transferred to the rehab center.  That
could all happen sooner.

Mallory is not currently on any painkillers, or exotic meds.

Since her mom is posting details, I will let
her tell the rest of the good news

David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
David,

Will you please steer clear of the Mallory situation? I'm asking you nicely.
This isn't about you. Please leave her family alone.

Bill Steele

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 2, 2013, at 7:07 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Early Friday evening, I visited with Mallory's mom for about 2 minutes in the
> waiting room.
>
> I didn't get to see Mallory, but another caver was there earlier.
>
> Mallory's dad will be with her this weekend.
>
> Mallory's mom is hopeful they will move her out of ICU by Monday, but just to
> a regular room until she gets transferred to the rehab center.  That could
> all happen sooner.
>
> Mallory is not currently on any painkillers, or exotic meds.
>
> Since her mom is posting details, I will let
> her tell the rest of the good news
>
> David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I'm with Bill on this. Leave it alone please.

Sent cellularly.
-Don

On Aug 2, 2013, at 11:36 PM, Bill Steele <speleoste...@aol.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> Will you please steer clear of the Mallory situation? I'm asking you nicely.
> This isn't about you. Please leave her family alone.
>
> Bill Steele
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 2, 2013, at 7:07 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Early Friday evening, I visited with Mallory's mom for about 2 minutes in
>> the waiting room.
>>
>> I didn't get to see Mallory, but another caver was there earlier.
>>
>> Mallory's dad will be with her this weekend.
>>
>> Mallory's mom is hopeful they will move her out of ICU by Monday, but just
>> to a regular room until she gets transferred to the rehab center.  That
>> could all happen sooner.
>>
>> Mallory is not currently on any painkillers, or exotic meds.
>>
>> Since her mom is posting details, I will let
>> her tell the rest of the good news
>>
>> David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
>From her mother:

Another good milestone today! Mallory smiled at her caver friend nicknamed
"Puppy". Mal wakes up more after PT has been working with her about 15
minutes. They wanted to stand her but the 3rd therapist was tied up so they
enlisted Puppy to help. He was sitting by the bed and had to hold her knees
or thighs. When they sat her down, they wanted her to lift her head. So they
told her to lift her head and look at Puppy. They had to help her with her
head, but when she did she gave the biggest smile. We all saw it, even the
nurse who wasn't really participating in this event. It was so good to see
her smile.

I took a tour of Tirr Rehab hospital today. Mal has been approved by
insurance for Tirr. The patient liason has talked to me. Mal is scheduled to
go in next week as soon as medically approved. Her fever is gone. Lung X-ray
better. Still coughing but not as much. For those who are visiting, they are
moving her out of ICU into intermediate care as soon as a room opens up. So
you will need to find her new room. This was plannd early this morning and
when we left at 9 p.m., she was still in ICU. Slowly but surely.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
What wonderful news! I can't wait to see her out of ICU!

Roger

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2013, at 6:06 AM, "Emily McGowan" <emm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From her mother:
>
> Another good milestone today! Mallory smiled at her caver friend nicknamed
> "Puppy". Mal wakes up more after PT has been working with her about 15
> minutes. They wanted to stand her but the 3rd therapist was tied up so they
> enlisted Puppy to help. He was sitting by the bed and had to hold her knees
> or thighs. When they sat her down, they wanted her to lift her head. So they
> told her to lift her head and look at Puppy. They had to help her with her
> head, but when she did she gave the biggest smile. We all saw it, even the
> nurse who wasn't really participating in this event. It was so good to see
> her smile.
>
> I took a tour of Tirr Rehab hospital today. Mal has been approved by
> insurance for Tirr. The patient liason has talked to me. Mal is scheduled to
> go in next week as soon as medically approved. Her fever is gone. Lung X-ray
> better. Still coughing but not as much. For those who are visiting, they are
> moving her out of ICU into intermediate care as soon as a room opens up. So
> you will need to find her new room. This was plannd early this morning and
> when we left at 9 p.m., she was still in ICU. Slowly but surely.

> Topic               Messages in this topic (1)
> RECENT ACTIVITY:
> Visit Your Group
> Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us
> Feedback
> .

--- End Message ---