texascavers Digest 4 Aug 2013 23:51:21 -0000 Issue 1814

Topics (messages 22321 through 22331):

Re: Mallory update, 8/2/13
        22321 by: James Jasek

Re: Mallory
        22322 by: Sheryl Rieck
        22323 by: Edward Gelsone
        22331 by: Steve Keselik

Personal
        22324 by: David

Our Texas caving community
        22325 by: Mimi Jasek

GSA karst sessions: abstract deadline 6 August!
        22326 by: George Veni

Mallory report, 8/3/13
        22327 by: Emily McGowan

TSA Elections
        22328 by: ellie watson
        22330 by: Michael Cicherski

Mallory report, 8/4/13
        22329 by: caverarch

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-subscr...@texascavers.com>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        <texascavers-digest-unsubscr...@texascavers.com>

To post to the list, e-mail:
        <texascavers@texascavers.com>

--- Begin Message ---
Wow! This is fantastic news. Thank you

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 3, 2013, at 6:06 AM, "Emily McGowan" <emm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From her mother:
>
> Another good milestone today! Mallory smiled at her caver friend nicknamed
> "Puppy". Mal wakes up more after PT has been working with her about 15
> minutes. They wanted to stand her but the 3rd therapist was tied up so they
> enlisted Puppy to help. He was sitting by the bed and had to hold her knees
> or thighs. When they sat her down, they wanted her to lift her head. So they
> told her to lift her head and look at Puppy. They had to help her with her
> head, but when she did she gave the biggest smile. We all saw it, even the
> nurse who wasn't really participating in this event. It was so good to see
> her smile.
>
> I took a tour of Tirr Rehab hospital today. Mal has been approved by
> insurance for Tirr. The patient liason has talked to me. Mal is scheduled to
> go in next week as soon as medically approved. Her fever is gone. Lung X-ray
> better. Still coughing but not as much. For those who are visiting, they are
> moving her out of ICU into intermediate care as soon as a room opens up. So
> you will need to find her new room. This was plannd early this morning and
> when we left at 9 p.m., she was still in ICU. Slowly but surely.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I believe Mallory's mother has expressed the desire for visitors. It is not up
to anyone other than her family to say who can and cannot visit.

Sheryl

Sent from my iPhone-Resistance was futile.

On Aug 2, 2013, at 11:36 PM, Bill Steele <speleoste...@aol.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> Will you please steer clear of the Mallory situation? I'm asking you nicely.
> This isn't about you. Please leave her family alone.
>
> Bill Steele
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 2, 2013, at 7:07 PM, David <dlocklea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Early Friday evening, I visited with Mallory's mom for about 2 minutes in
>> the waiting room.
>>
>> I didn't get to see Mallory, but another caver was there earlier.
>>
>> Mallory's dad will be with her this weekend.
>>
>> Mallory's mom is hopeful they will move her out of ICU by Monday, but just
>> to a regular room until she gets transferred to the rehab center.  That
>> could all happen sooner.
>>
>> Mallory is not currently on any painkillers, or exotic meds.
>>
>> Since her mom is posting details, I will let
>> her tell the rest of the good news
>>
>> David Locklear

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Here Here!

[...]

Give David a break,are you down there offering support?

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Edward Gelsone <egels...@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Here Here!****
>
> ** **

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
In an effort to stop this past thread from getting out of control, I would
like
to butt in.

I deny any wrongdoing.     The facts are below:

1.    I have spent less than 20 minutes visiting someone in the hospital.
2.    I have not had any conversations with anyone except the patient's
      mother.
3.    I have never met anyone else in the patient's family.   ( Although, I
do recall
      the patient bringing her brother to a caving meeting a few years ago.
)
4.    At least one caver is making some assumptions and over-reacting, as
the
      patient's mother asked me to sign the guest book, and encouraged me to
      talk to the patient.

5.    The patient and I made up long ago.    Neither of us hold a grudge.
 I invited
       her to accompany me on every road-trip I made recently to Kiwi Sink.

6.    Things are not black & white.    I walked into a situation with
unknown
       complicated variables and had to access the situation.   The
patient's mother
       told me to come back as soon as she was at TIRR.    Maybe she was
just
       being polite.    That is not something to analyze or interpret or
second-guess.

On a related note,

7.    Bill was my favorite person on earth for about 20 years.    He has
       dropped to # 4, behind Swiss Jetman Yves Rossy, and the Brit Wingman,
       Gary Connery, and Elon Musk, the Space Pioneer.
8.    Fritz, Don, Carl, Sheryl, Mixon, Crash, etc. are also high on my list
of favorite
       people.    All of you
       are on my list of people I like or admire in one way or another.   Only
one CaveTex        follower is not on that list, but I would still go
       caving with him, if I had to.   I have never seen him post anything.
   He behaves,
       like an internet troll.

9.    I do not live in Harris County.    I avoid Harris County, except when
my work
      takes me there, which unfortunately is daily.
10.  From 1989 to 1994, I was a dedicated active member of the caving club
      in Harris County.    I have not been affiliated with that group
since, but did attend
      meetings in the late 90's.   I am completely out of the loop on the
affairs of
      cavers in Harris County.   I have no immediate intentions of changing
that.
11.   I have spent much of my energy focused entirely on the East Texas
Caver's
       Cookout, because back in the late-90's, it was a great idea.    But
obviously,
       I am going to have to go back to the drawing board on that.
12.   I did create the NSS Google+ Page and I am proud of that, but the
authorities
       eventually decided it should not be in my hands or based out of
Arcola, Texas.              That doesn't bother me.   I have moved on to
other stuff.
13.   Anyone that wants to be my friend, and can get past my
eccentricities, will
       find that I am not a loose cannon, but a helpful sincere friend.
14.   I love caves.

David Locklear
caver in Fort Bend County, Texas

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This past year has not been kind to our community. We tragically lost one young
member, another beloved member found out he is terminally ill, then Mallory and
friend Rex get hurt, and now Gill. Through all of this, the only thing that
should matter is sending all our best wishes and hopes for recovery to those
who need them, and if help is required, stepping up.

Emily is doing an amazing and heartfelt job of keeping us informed about
Mallory and friend Rex, as Ellie and Galen have done about Gill. That is
enough:) We get what we need from them. In return, our positive feedback to
them gets back to our injured friends! For all who visit either and have
information to share, let it come from our unofficial ambassadors of news, and
otherwise, write your visit in detail down for yourself to be passed on to that
person when they are better:) It is personal to you, but when better, our
injured friends may want to know how they did during their recovery, whether
short or long.

I am a mom, stepmom, and grandma, and have suffered loss. Who hasn't? Let these
incidents bring us together with a common bond of healing and friendship.

"No man is an island," and "too many cooks spoil the broth." Keep these
sentiments in mind.

Sincerely, with only good thoughts for all involved,

Mimi Jasek

Sent from my iPhone

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Friends,

The next Geological Society of America Convention will be held this year in
Denver, Colorado on 27-30 October. The deadline for submitting abstracts is
almost upon us: midnight, 6 August 2013, US Pacific Time.

Six topical sessions on caves and karst are offered this year. NCKRI is proud
to sponsor all of the sessions and is hosting one of the sessions on GSA's
125th Anniversary theme. Also, if you are conducting research in any of the US
National Parks, check out Session 123, which NCKRI is also sponsoring. Details
on all of these sessions are given below.  You can submit abstracts at
http://community.geosociety.org/2013AnnualMeeting/Sessions.

Of special note, NCKRI is joining many other friends to sponsor a special
Pardee Symposium:

P1. 125 Anniversary Pardee: 125 Years of Exploration and Geoscience with GSA
and the National Geographic Society: Celebrating the Rich History of
Geoscientist Explorers who have Broadened our Horizons and Knowledge of our
World
GSA Environmental and Engineering Geology Division; GSA History and Philosophy
of Geology Division; GSA Hydrogeology Division; Karst Waters Institute (KWI);
GSA Mineralogy, Geochemistry, Petrology, and Volcanology Division; National
Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI); GSA Planetary Geology Division; GSA
Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division; GSA Sedimentary Geology
Division; GSA Structural Geology and Tectonics Division
Cory W. Blackeagle; George Veni; Barbara EchoHawk
This session will showcase the intimate linkage between geology and exploration
both historically and currently. Speakers will represent scientists-explorers
and their contributions over the last 50 years, as well as today's
geoscientists who are pushing the frontiers of science and providing us with
new views of Planet Earth. Individual speakers will represent different arenas
of exploration and study: caves, mountains, oceans, polar regions, deserts,
plains and grasslands, jungles, and planetary geology.

For more information about the GSA Convention, visit
http://community.geosociety.org/2013AnnualMeeting/Home. We hope you will join
us there.

Lastly, there is an effort by many karst scientists to create a Karst Division
in GSA. Registration in support of this effort is happening through a GSA Karst
Interest Group discussion list. We currently have about half the members needed
to form a division. To subscribe to the list and support creation of the Karst
Division, contact Cory Blackeagle at
cblackea...@uky.edu<mailto:cblackea...@uky.edu>. He will e-mail you a personal
invitation that you'll need to join the list.

Please distribute this message to anyone you think may be interested.

George

-------------------------------

T58. 125 Years Underground: A Retrospective and Prospective of Cave and Karst
Research
GSA Hydrogeology Division; National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI);
GSA Geophysics Division; GSA Environmental and Engineering Geology Division;
GSA Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division
George Veni, Lewis Land
Caves and karst were once viewed as geologic curiosities but are now recognized
as important features and terrains. This session reviews 125 years of
cave/karst science, emphasizing the last 50 years, and looks toward future
advancements.

T59. Assessing Hazards and Groundwater Contamination in Karst
GSA Environmental and Engineering Geology Division; GSA Hydrogeology Division;
National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
Yongli Gao
Groundwater contamination and hazards such as sinkholes are the two most common
environmental concerns in karst lands. This session focuses on advancements in
technology and approaches for hazard assessment and contamination investigation
in karst areas.

T60. Caves as Deep Time Repositories of Geological, Biological, and
Anthropological Information
GSA Hydrogeology Division; Geochemical Society; GSA Archaeological Geology
Division; GSA Geobiology & Geomicrobiology Division; GSA Geology and Society
Division; GSA Geophysics Division; GSA Mineralogy, Geochemistry, Petrology, and
Volcanology Division; GSA Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division; GSA
Sedimentary Geology Division; Mineralogical Society of America; National Cave
and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI); SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology)
Joshua M. Feinberg, E. Calvin Alexander Jr
Caves serve as deep time repositories of scientific information. This session
welcomes contributions utilizing cave deposits to create time series of
original data that capture information about the evolution of geologic,
biologic, and anthropological systems.

T61. Karst 2.0: Orogenies and Glaciers and Faulting-Oh My! The Impact of
Changing Geologic Conditions on Existing Karst Terrane and the New Tools and
Techniques We Have to Study It
GSA Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division; National Cave and Karst
Research Institute (NCKRI)
Cory W. Blackeagle
Once established, how does karst terrain change in response to subsequent
changes in its region's geologic setting? How are those changes from initial
conditions recognized? What cutting-edge technologies are being used in karst
research today?

T62. The Epikarst as a Boundary and Critical Zone
GSA Hydrogeology Division; National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
Benjamin F. Schwartz, Madeline E. Schreiber
We welcome work on epikarst, including modeling, field studies, and novel
method developments, that advances our understanding of hydrobiogeochemical
processes, physical constraints, and environmental controls on epikarst
function as a surface-subsurface boundary and critical zone.

T63. Transport and Transformation of Non-Solute Materials in Karst Aquifers
GSA Hydrogeology Division; Karst Waters Institute; National Cave and Karst
Research Institute (NCKRI)
Ellen K. Herman, Michael Sinreich, Dorothy J. Vesper
This interdisciplinary session focuses on innovative studies and techniques
related to the transport and transformation of non-solute materials in karst
waters. We invite abstracts related to sediments, particulate-tracers,
contaminants (especially non-aqueous phase liquids), and biota.

T123. Geology in the National Parks: Research, Mapping, and Resource Management
GSA Geophysics Division; National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
Bruce Heise, Jason P. Kenworthy, Timothy B. Connors
This session addresses the role of geoscience in the U.S. National Parks.
Presentations are invited on geologic research, geologic mapping, paleontology,
coastal geology, glacier studies, and resource management in U.S. National
Parks, Monuments, Seashores, and Historic Sites.

********************
George Veni, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Cave and Karst Research Institute
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220-6215 USA
Office: 575-887-5517
Mobile: 210-863-5919
Fax: 575-887-5523
gv...@nckri.org<mailto:gv...@nckri.org>
www.nckri.org<http://www.nckri.org>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
This will be short, we're just getting in and are exhausted. Mal moved from
ICU to Intermediate Care at 4 AM. Had a good day. Improvement continues
slowly. Can follow visitors with her head instead of just her eyes, seems to
understand some things better, still coughing up stuff from her lungs. The
special talent she displayed today - only patient these nurses have ever had
that they absolutely cannot keep the special orthopedic leg boots on. She
moves her legs almost constantly, and kicks and pulls the boots off with her
feet.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Texas Cavers,

I am opening up the floor for nominations for the Texas Speleological
Association(TSA), for the annual election of officers for 2014 year. I have
volunteered to serve as Election Committee Chair and Mark Alman has agreed
to assist on the committee.

You may choose to nominate yourself or recommend quality candidates to me.
Officer nominations may be made by any TSA member. Please have all
nominations to me by Friday, August 23rd, 2013. If you are not a member,
and you want to be involved, you still have time to join TSA.

Officers positions:

*Chairman*- OPEN
*Vice-Chairman* - *Roger Moore*
*Secretary *-*Heather Tucek*
*Treasurer*- OPEN

Roger Moore volunteerded to run again for Vice-Chairman and Heather Tucek
volunteered to run again for Secretary. Chairman and Treasurer positions
are OPEN open for 2014.

Thank you to all current officers for your service.

My goal is to run an electronic ballot near the beginning of October.

Thanks!

Ellie Watson
*TSA Election Committee Chair.*

*The Texas Speleological Association is a Regional Association of the
National Speleological Society. The purposes of TSA are to promote the
study and science of speleology, the protection of caves and the
preservation of natural and cultural resources within caves, the education
of members and the general public, and communication and coordination of
speleological activities in the State of Texas. TSA supports the aims and
goals of the National Speleological Society.*
* *

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Ellie,

Thanks for agreeing t9 handle the elections. We all appreciate everything you
do for the TSA.

The one point I would add is the need for multiple candidates for each
position. The more candidates we have to choose from the better the platforms!

Michael

On Aug 4, 2013, at 17:04, ellie watson <ellie.tho...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Texas Cavers,
>
> I am opening up the floor for nominations for the Texas Speleological
> Association(TSA), for the annual election of officers for 2014 year. I have
> volunteered to serve as Election Committee Chair and Mark Alman has agreed to
> assist on the committee.
>
> You may choose to nominate yourself or recommend quality candidates to me.
> Officer nominations may be made by any TSA member. Please have all
> nominations to me by Friday, August 23rd, 2013. If you are not a member, and
> you want to be involved, you still have time to join TSA.
>
> Officers positions:
>
> Chairman- OPEN
> Vice-Chairman - Roger Moore
> Secretary -Heather Tucek
> Treasurer- OPEN
>
> Roger Moore volunteerded to run again for Vice-Chairman and Heather Tucek
> volunteered to run again for Secretary. Chairman and Treasurer positions are
> OPEN open for 2014.
>
> Thank you to all current officers for your service.
>
> My goal is to run an electronic ballot near the beginning of October.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ellie Watson
> TSA Election Committee Chair.
> The Texas Speleological Association is a Regional Association of the National
> Speleological Society. The purposes of TSA are to promote the study and
> science of speleology, the protection of caves and the preservation of
> natural and cultural resources within caves, the education of members and the
> general public, and communication and coordination of speleological
> activities in the State of Texas. TSA supports the aims and goals of the
> National Speleological Society.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I visited Mallory and family this afternoon, and it is a relief to report that
she has begun the long and hard road back. She is no longer comatose and can
and does move a lot now - a good sign that she is regaining muscle control. Mal
has some awareness of her surroundings (including the people around her), and
less happily of her own discomfort. She clearly knows that something is wrong,
and she is really pissed about it. Mal is literally trying to push and kick
away her problems, which will certainly help her get back muscle tone.

I got to meet Mal's Dad, Steve, today. I was lucky to see him before he had to
along with other young friends or relations.

Roger

--- End Message ---