Ted, you are referring to the "Chip and Pin" cards aka EMV smart card, chip card, or integrated circuit card (ICC). The chip is best thought of as a small USB drive and the visible surface of the chip on the card is how the card reader physically accesses the data (you account number and the valid PIN) stored there to verify as valid use of the card IN PERSON. Been in use since the late 80's.

FYI here in the USA in 2005, American Express introduced ExpressPay, similar to MasterCard PayPass and Visa payWave. All are contactless payment system based on wireless RFID. So your CC might have a RFID in them already since your last card renewal.

Terry H.

On 2/10/2013 5:59 AM, Ted Samsel wrote:
Don't most credit cards used in the EU have them? My colleagues who pursue
academic careers over there say their cards have a special chip in them.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Gill Ediger<gi...@att.net>  wrote:

My passport does. Who knows what kind of information is on that?
--Ediger

------------------------------
*From:* John Lyles<j...@losalamos.com>
*To:* s...@caver.net
*Sent:* Sat, February 9, 2013 3:52:07 PM
*Subject:* Re: [SWR] RFID Credit Cards

There has been some local chatter about someone in Albuqueque who has a
briefcase who can walk among (close) to people with cards having that RF
chip, and download their information. I know some people who have bought
foil sleeves that cover the card and block RF access to the chip. My cards
don't have the RFID in them, thank goodness, as I would zap them to
smithereens at work anyhow.....(!)
jtml