I will add my two cents worth to this.  I had the good fortune to discover
Andy's Cave back in 1970.  As a small cave in a difficult location to find, it
did not receive much visitation to speak of.  Within a couple of years of its
discovery, it started to show the signs of wear and tear, much to my dismay.
One of the extremely delicate rimstone dams in the back end of it was damaged
by someone walking on it.  I was not happy.  Many years later, I returned again
with Ransom on a trip and discovered that another dam was damaged.  Several
years after that, on my fourth or so trip in there, I found that about 10 of
them were completely broken.  The time since I was in there with Ransom to the
time I returned as Trip Leader for that cave, all the entries had been made on
TL guided trips.  I am making the assumption that it was likely on one of those
TL guided trips with competent cavers that the bulk of damage was done, most
likely by one large footed inconsiderate SOB who either wasn't being led
properly or did the damage while no one was looking.  The area is now pretty
well ruined as a result.  I realize that it was done under the guidance of a
trip leader for which there is seemingly no excuse for that happening, but I
also shudder to think what would have happened if some unguided, unthinking,
uncaring lug nut of a caver just decided to tromp through there.  It is sad
occurrences like this that have been responsible for the closing or tightening
of permitting on various caves.  In a sense, we have met the enemy and they are
us…

I agree with Aaron that there are still plenty of cave permits available to be
had.  It does take a bit more planning than usual to get those permits for
specific time slots, but then again, there are a hell of lot more cavers out
there now than there were way back when.  I remember several summers in the
Guads in the late sixties/seventies when we spent weeks up there on top of the
ridge and virtually NEVER saw anyone else up there.  Nearly everyone was off in
Vietnam or elsewhere at the time.  Now there's a whole new group of people
coming.  In fact, John's recent posting about the discovery in Lech was amazing
to me in that I didn't recognize 80% of the names of people who were on that
trip.  Most of them looked a lot younger than I am.

I also don't go caving out there as much as I'd like to, given that there's a
couple thousand miles between me and the Guads, but I also don't ever seem to
have much trouble to find some caving opportunities out there of my own choice.
 Unfortunately, the scourge of WNS has brought that tragedy to the forefront of
consciousness in the minds of Americans in general and thus they complain that
cavers, who may be a vector for the spread of the disease in their minds,
should be kept out to stop that spread.  We do what we can to stop that train
of thought, but for the uninitiated, it is hard to make an argument in our
favor.

And that's all I have to say about that…

Peter