From: pagan...@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 15:02:00 -0600
To: s...@caver.net
Subject: Re: [SWR] Petition to keep public caves open to the public

On Apr 13, 2012, at 2:58 PM, Carl Pagano wrote:It is what I have been saying.
There is NO scientific evidence that this is human spread. That involves work,
including a control, and test group. After a conclusion has been reached, the
experiment must be able to be repeated, several times, with the same results to
support the original hypothesis. That humans as a vector of WNS? Prove it.
It's much much easier to close caves, decontaminate your clothing, and then say
that you've done all that you can, when even your hair probably carries the
spores of WNS.  Unless you want to cave in disposable gear, so that each time
you enter the cave, you have on fresh, sterile, spore free gear, the effort is
futile. How many can say that they have immersed their expensive caving helmet
and lamp in decontaminant each and every time before they go into a cave?
Washed your cave suit lately? You bet you have! Made you feel good that you
were doing your part to contain WNS. BIG PROBLEM- you just put it back into the
same dirty tote you got it out of. May look clean but guess again. You must put
your stuff in a bag that has not touched any other surface suspected of
carrying spores. That includes the back of your pick up truck you threw your
expensive dusty caving helmet and gear into.. How many have decontaminated
their vehicles? Tires, carpet, upholstery, roof liner,  it all carries the same
dirt from the last cave you were in. How about the dirt under your fingernails?
Scrubbed your hands in decontaminate lately? Really scrubbed under those
fingernails? You wash your hands, then pick up caving gear, decontaminate it,
then pick it up again. Your gear is now dirty again because you just touched
decontaminated gear with fingernails that still contain dirt under them, i.e.
spores, if you ever had any in the first place.   Now, does this sound
completely and totally impossible to do? Yes it is. Therefore, the entire idea
of decontaminating your gear is equally just a "feel good" measure. Pick up any
medical book on sterile technique, then come back and still support the idea of
field decontamination. It doesn't work. Same as a petition.   Some individuals
need a "cause". Seems like the person mentioned below has found theirs, with
complete disregard to fact or practicality.     By the way, suppose you close
all the caves? What are you going to do- stop the bats from going into them?
Tell them to wipe their feet? How about a warm devon bath before flying out? Or
that they are        restricted to just one cave?        The entire thought is
as ludicrous as a petition to close caves, decontamination, or any other
hypothesis that is not supported by scientific, reproducible results.
  Pissing in the wind, tilting at windmills, call it what you like.
    All of this is simply emotion based bad science.                     Carl…….