Jeez, Steve, and here I was going to sign that petition just to feel like I was
doing *something* to stop the CBD from controlling the situation.  Dunham,
whoever he is, says that CBD is petitioning the White House themselves to close
all caves.  If so, they are pissing in the wind as well, according to your
view.  However, if they get the upper hand by THEIR petition and we as cavers
do nothing to stop their petition or at least counteract it with one of our
own, then we're the ones who got pissed on downwind, not them.  As a friend of
a friend once said, don't get any on ya'….  This is sure a political hot button
for everyone, no matter which side of the WNS and cave closure issue you come
down on.  Signing it, despite all its defects and whether it is effective or
not, can't hurt and at least gives some of us the opportunity to voice an
equally strong opinion about *not* closing down caves en masse.  With all the
money that some of the private commercial cave owners have (Luray, Howe, etc),
it is highly unlikely that CBD will be able to close down all caves, no matter
who owns them.  You can stop the supposed human vector, as yet unproved, and
leave it to the bats to do the spreading all by themselves as they seem to be
doing a fine job of already.  Alas, WNS was confirmed in Maine earlier this
year and there are no commercial caves in our state and virtually no cavers to
spread it.  In fact, it showed up in mines, not caves and most cavers don't do
mines anyway.

Having said all that, I was very frustrated in trying to find a way to sign the
damned thing as it was.  I signed in but could never get back to the petition
to sign it and couldn't find it anywhere once I was signed in.  It's a
conspiracy!!!  It's those damned liberals…..  Wait, I'm one of them.  Yikes!!!

Peter