Ken Harrington wrote:

After two meeting with the cavers, the LNF reopened nine caves for recreational caving.

During a recent meeting between members of the SWR and the LNF we arrived at a list of 43 caves that are being considered for recreational permits. Caves on the list will be considered for three types of recreational permits: 1) Permit where no dedicated leader is required, 2) trips where a trip leader knowledgeable of the cave is required and 3) trips where a Forest Service guide is required.

So, what happened to that dangling carrot where we were being told there was consideration of eliminating that inane permit requirement for ungated caves? I guess they really weren't serious about that it seems.