This is essentially what happened here in Virginia. Initially there was a knee-jerk, blanket ban on caving, but then people realized that cavers were the eyes and ears on and under the ground that provided real-time info on how the bats were doing. The policy soon changed to allowing caving with decon. That was true for everyone but the feds; the USFWS never relaxed their caving ban. My guess is that they won't do so any time soon - they are the most remote from cavers and the most impenetrable. Fortunately for us that affects relatively few of the caves most of us visit regularly.

Mark Minton