We have been using a Canon PowerShot D10 for about a year now, and it takes great cave photos. We use it hard and do not protect it beyond a sleeve made of a couple of beer koozies. Limited flash, as with any compact camera, but definitely hardy enough. It's waterproof to 10 m and shockproof to 1.2 m fall, has image stabilization and internal zoom, so no external moving parts except the buttons. Has gotten great reviews. This is the best compact camera for caving that I have seen. <http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=2590&modelid=18332>

Mark Minton