From: jran...@gmail.com [mailto:jran...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 10:31 AM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: RE: [Texascavers] Please Become a Digital Online Member

Hey Mark -

In addition to being a current TCMA Board Member and Officer I have also been
the TSA Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary and served in multiple grotto
officer positions. I am not trying to attack or discredit anyone's hard work
and certaily not shock and dismay anyone. I appreciate what everyone does and
have done much more shocking things than a one word email. I was also sitting
right beside Ellie on a couch discussing options for things to do at Spring
Convention when I responded to her email.

The Items you mentioned are quite good but I can't help but wonder what unique
things the TSA provides me besides a great caving magazine? This is the same
issue I struggled with when I was an officer.

*TCC is bailing out the convention and honestly replicates it at their big
winter event with talks and caving. Might not be quite as good but if it were
the only one I bet it would grow.
*TCR throws one hell of a party without politics or much TSA support (aside
from running registration so TSA can gather memberships). I do believe TCR is
explicitly prohibited from merging with TSA and has bailed TSA out financially
on more than one occasion.
*The land fund donation to TCMA came from NSS seed money from hosting the 94
convention. The TSA decided it would make a nice contribution to TCMA because
it was not growing much under TSA and was a bit of a hassle.
*It was quite nice of TSA to help refurbish the Honey Creek shaft. Our grotto
put it in during the 80's and many grottos donate money to keep the tractor
working and maintain the ranch. It helps but is not unique.
*TSA projects exist nicely on their own. CBSP would continue without TSA,
probably in a different form. The new Amistad project is run through the TSS?
The Rancho Diana project in SA is just one caver. The Austin group is working a
huge cave ranch near spring branch. etc.
*TexasCavers.com and CaveTex before it seemed to take pride in not being
affiliated with TSA.
*The NSS runs the WNS fund and many grottos including several I belong to
contributed.

I'm not sure what unique benefit the TSA provides me other than a magazine with
a membership and fellowship opportunities. This is not necessarily a bad thing
and thankfully for everyone is just my two cents.

Joe