On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM, John P. Brooks <jpbrook...@sbcglobal.net>
 wrote:

> I want to save the TSA from financial ruin....I will go digital if Ediger
> renews his membership. Anyone else willing to make that commitment?

Ediger will renew his lapsed TSA membership and donate $100 to the TSA
within seconds of The TEXAS CAVER being made a free publication to any caver
who wants to sign up for a free subscription. Subscribing non-TSA members
should be solicited to join TSA but membership should not be a requirement
for receiving all the good caving information aimed at bettering the cause
of caving in Texas. As a caver and TSA member I, personally, would want
every caver in Texas to be reading TSA promotional material, safety
information, articles about equipment and techniques, cave science, upcoming
events which they can support by attending, trip and cave reports, and
participating personally by attending TSA conventions and contributing
articles to The TEXAS CAVER themselves, all of which will also benefit ME. I
am selfish. I want all of these non-TSA members to read The TEXAS CAVER
because I will benefit from them being more informed and better cavers. They
do not have to be TSA members to be better cavers. But they can be better
cavers, and well qualified and participating members of the Texas caving
community, if they simply read and contribute to The TEXAS CAVER. And their
participation is good for me, it is good for you, and it is good for Texas
caving. That is probably the most valuable service the TSA can provide to
cavers and caving in Texas--keeping EVERYONE informed so they can be a
better participant in Texas caving.

I coined a phrase in 1969, "As The TEXAS CAVER goes, so goes the TSA." I
think that is still true today. If The TEXAS CAVER is made available to all
Texas cavers digitally and free then we will see a much better informed
group of Texas cavers taking the bait to become members of the TSA and
helping it reach it's selfish aims and purposes--a major part of which is
promoting Texas caving--for ALL of us, not just the few. The time has
finally come, my fellow Texas cavers, to do something for our selfish
selves. It costs the TSA nothing to give The TEXAS CAVER away digitally. It
costs the TSA and Texas caving a lot not to. If you want to do something
selfish for yourself and for all the other Texas cavers vote at your
earliest opportunity to separate The CAVER from TSA membership, to make it
free to any digital subscriber.  Otherwise, we're just preaching to the
choir.

Yours in Texas caving (for nearly 43 years now),
--Ediger