From: Logan McNatt <lmcn...@austin.rr.com>
To: George Veni <gv...@warpdriveonline.com>
Cc: texascavers@texascavers.com
Sent: Mon, December 14, 2009 4:51:20 PM
Subject: [Texascavers] Re: Clean Water Action

I've been donating to Clean Water Action since 2000, and they are still a
viable national organization with a Texas chapter based in Austin:
http://www.cleanwateraction.org/tx
The first thing that impressed me was they still have people going door to door
once a year, at least in south Austin where Gill and I live.

Although Annalisa of GEAA said CWA does not get involved in local issues, the
issues on their website include:
"The Coming Crisis:  Water Availability and Municipal Conservation Efforts in
Central Texas",
"Tell the Austin City Council To Support Clean Energy"
"Tell San Anonio's [and New Braunfels', and Georgetown's] Mayor and City
Council Not To Support Nuclear Energy"
"Increase Funding for State Parks"
"Get The Mercury Out Of Our Skies And Water"
"Support A Moratorium On New Permits For Coal-Burning Power Plants"

Obviously they are an advocacy/lobbying group, so donations are not
tax-deductible.  I agree with Stephan that it seems like there is a lot of
duplication of effort among the plethora of environmental groups, but many of
the smaller groups are devoted to a specific geographic area or issue, and
cannot actively lobby, unlike CWA.

Logan

George Veni wrote:
Clean Water Action has been working in the Austin and San Antonio areas since
at least the mid-1980s. They have worked to lobby government and agencies, and
work cooperatively with other green groups to prevent water degradation. I
haven’t seen them much in the past 10 years and don’t know if the organization
crashed and is now recovering or if it simply got diverted to other projects in
other areas.