On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Charles Goldsmith <wo...@justfamily.org>wrote:

> If the TC goes free, it won't be in the password protected section, it
> will be available on the front page.

That would not be good. But it would not be not good because of the reason
being discussed here--spam, etc. There's another...

Now I'm gonna tell you what I'm gonna tell you then I'm gonna tell you
why--two paragraphs.

The process should be some variation of this:
   Cavers can get 'invited to subscribe' to The TEXAS CAVER by any of
several means--from the TSA or Grotto Home Pages, at Grotto meetings, the
TSA convention, TCR, from fellow cavers, from handouts at projects such as
CBSP, Gov Canyon, Punkin & Deep, etc, or basically any way and place that
cavers get together.
   Then, the caver will go to the link on the TSA web site and navigate to
the Subscribe to The TEXAS CAVER button.
   Then, the caver will be asked for some vital information such as name,
address, etc, NSS number, Grotto affiliation (or independent), and maybe
even personal info such as family member names (which are mostly for photo
identification purposes, not for publication, etc), age, years caving, and a
brief caving bio, and the all important email address (which does not have
to be the caver's primary one). Most of this info will be voluntary.
Basically all that will be needed is a name and an email address and a
password.
   The caver will also be asked to furnish a password for accessing his or
her own personal subscription information.
   Then, whenever a new CAVER is ready to mail (or some breaking TSA
caver-worthy news) the caver will be sent a message telling him or her to go
access his or her subscription account, and to download a free digital copy
of whatever is being offered--TEXAS CAVER or whatever. There could be some
restrictions as to which publications can be downloaded without being a TSA
member, such as a Members Manual, meeting minutes, etc.
   Then, they can download it and print it out in any way they choose,
archiving the digital copy for posterity, and getting back to doing whatever
they were doing before--or maybe read The CAVER.

The mechanics of that process are not too hard to visualize--I hope. But
there are some questions, I'm sure. So here are a few 'whys' to dispel some
of um.
Q. Why require a subscription?
   A. Because what we really want is to know who is this subscriber is and
where they fit in the Texas caving scene. Basically we are trying to
identify all the cavers in Texas so we can keep in contact with
them--ostensibly through the auspices of The TEXAS CAVER--and influence them
and they us. "We will give you a free CAVER if you will be a part of our
'extended' TSA caving fraternity. This is a bribe from us to know who you
are and that you are one of us--even though you may have been hiding for
many years because you felt that the TSA doesn't care about you--doesn't
want you to be a part of their elite group without you getting involved in
their political intrigues" or any other reasons you may have.
Q, How does this help the TSA?
   A. The subscription gives the TSA a database for contacting outside
cavers (not just TSA members) about important issues such as cave
conservation, caver functions, projects, conventions, TCR and other events
that cavers would be interested in. It also restricts (somewhat) the
distribution of errant issues on the open market. That's not to say that I
couldn't just print out 40 copies via my download and hand them out at
Walgreens. It also provides a larger man-power base of both leaders and
followers which will obviously contribute to projects, training,
participation, writing articles, and a general contribution to more and
better caving.
Q. How will my email address be protected?
   A. The subscriber list will be maintained as a database, pretty much
entirely electronically. The database, or selected fields, at least, should
be available to subscribers as a caver service. Subscribers could elect to
not make their email address and certain other fields visible. Also, certain
low tech schemes such as embedding the letters 'TSA' into each email address
to be manually removed by the end user could offer some degree of security,
but probably not worth it.
Q. Will a Members Manual be published?
   A. A hard copy Members Manual is a handy reference for cavers who travel
great distances to visit caves and caving events. But, as the Members Manual
is a TSA list, perhaps only TSA members could be allowed to download it.
That would provide incentive to join TSA. Properly loaded, a Members Manual
could be available for downloading just like The TEXAS CAVER. Again,
subscribers can elect to have their sensitive data available for viewing or
printing.
Q. How do we keep just anybody from accessing and printing out a copy of The
CAVER or Member's Manual?
   A. Well, basically we can't. I can print one for my brother-in-law and he
can leave it laying in the break room at work for anybody to see. Just like
a hard copy could be. But the subscription process will help and will at
least let us track who is subscribing--which should be valuable information,
in it's own right, for an organization dedicated to conservation and safety,
at least.
Q. How will the hard copy subscribers be handled?
   A. When subscribing to receive The TEXAS CAVER, a subscriber can elect
from any of 3 options: 1) To receive free digital TEXAS CAVER downloads (and
other selected publications and notices). 2) To receive both a digital
notification for downloading and a hard copy of any (again, selected)
publications. 3) To receive one or more hard copies from TSA via USPS at a
proscribed rate to cover production and mailing costs. A 4th option, which
should probably come first, would be to join the TSA as a dues paying member
with voting and other privileges, hopefully stated somewhere.
Q. Who will tend to the hard copy printing and mailing business?
   A. Traditionally the editor had a major hand in that, often doing it
all--printing, collating, binding, labeling, sorting, mailing, paying, and
dealing with returns, address changes, etc. At time there were helpers for
any or most of those tasks. I suspect that with the lighter load, the editor
can easily handle it all. But the door will still be open for volunteers to
pitch in. Hard copy subscribers will probably see a bit better service since
things won't take so long to finish as they formerly did.
Q What else can we expect from the new contacts we will make.
   A. Well, some of them will join the TSA. Many of them will contribute
trip reports and cave reports and articles and other submissions to The
TEXAS CAVER for your reading enjoyment, swelling its pages. They will become
a part of our inner caving community instead or remaining out of it. And
they will contribute to our overall enjoyment of caving, standing around
campfires, and reading The TEXAS CAVER.
Q. Would it be realistic to expect more issues of The CAVER?
   A. Actually, it would be realistic to expect that the editor could
publish any time he'd accumulated enough information to make up an
issue--not necessarily on a fixed schedule. In fact, the raw information
could be made available as it is gathered and processed and cavers could
watch the miracle of publication progress before their very eyes. And
possible inspire them to submit some article themselves.

This is the first time I've actually enumerated these ideas so they may be
somewhat crudely developed, but the basic idea of what is possible should be
contained within this writing. The two most important things to be gained
are 1) identifying and getting The TEXAS CAVER into the hands of non-TSA
cavers and 2) getting them to participate in the TSA. Neither of those will
happen if we don't do something. There are, I'm sure, details which I've not
considered. But the underlying concept should make for a better, cheaper
system for producing and distributing The TEXAS CAVER and other TSA
periodical-type publications. It should contribute to a broadening of both a
Texas caver base and TSA membership and participation. It should satisfy
those cavers who justifiably prefer a hard copy CAVER supplied by the TSA.
And it should result in the TSA having more money and human resources to put
toward the realization of its aims and purposes. And, on the face of it, I
can't identify even one reason to justify not doing it, at least somehow,
along the general pattern I have presented here. There is just no down side.

In the interest of Texas caving,
I thank you for your time and consideration,
--Ediger