From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:03 AM
To: Cavers Texas
Subject: [Texascavers] Cub cave related

Here is a video of a rock-climber exiting the entrance at Cub Cave
near San Antonio.

The ending of the climb is quite impressive.

http://vodpod.com/watch/2046705-rock-climbing-thieving-texas-bastard-5-13-at
-cub-cave-in-san-antonio-texas

Rupesh Chhagan is obviously a good climber.   According to the link
below, he operates an acupuncture
clinic in Austin.

I think the video maker,  Long Ta, did a good job.    The video looks
great on a big monitor.

My only comments are that if person were in a vertical entrance to a
cave and he chose to exit
using rock-climbing techniques instead of SRT, wouldn't he still be
caving ??    If so, then you have
to practice somewhere somehow, and this type of cave seems like an
appropriate one to
practice.   Many cavers climb out of pits without ascenders, in places
like the entrance drop of "Emerald
Sink," however, these caving decisions are usually based on what is
more practical, such as whether to
rig and follow a handline, or just to free-climb very cautiously.

I think what I am trying to say is that cavers need to draw the line
somewhere, when it comes to a bunch
of rock-climbers rigging and naming various bolted routes all over the
pits.    I don't recall ever hearing of
Cub Cave, so I don't know if this is a good place for cavers to
practice rock-climbing.

David Locklear

Ref:

http://www.medicalartsacupuncture.com/rupesh.htm