Assalanche?

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 4, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Devra Heyer <djhe...@swbell.net> wrote:

Would it be a craptastrophe?

--- On Thu, 12/4/08, Geary Schindel <gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org> wrote:
From: Geary Schindel <gschin...@edwardsaquifer.org>
Subject: [Texascavers] Philosophical question
To: "Texas Cavers" <Texascavers@texascavers.com>
Date: Thursday, December 4, 2008, 3:33 PM

In Texas, it has been pretty rare to obtain any sizable snows on steep slopes with any sizeable population present to create a situation where there might be a mass movement of snow which would be defined as an avalanche. Colorado and Wyoming are different stories as there are serious safety issues with avalanches each year.

There are a number of areas where there is sufficient cliffs for rock falls in Texas. One of the better examples is at Big Bend National Park where you can see the fresh rock face from the rock fall that occurred on the cliff near Dog Canyon, north of the park headquarters. However, Yosemite is probably better known for having large pieces of rock break off and fall and occasionally squash people.

If you have sufficient amounts of soil, trees, rock, and water, you may have a land slide. I would assume that there have been a number of landslides or slope failures on steep slopes in west Texas and this might be an issue. I would assume that it is a fairly unusual geohazard. However, California is famous for their landslides and mud slides.

However, there is one geological hazards which I believe is most probably in Texas (with the exception of the US Capitol steps). During the last mapping trip in Punkin Cave, we were in some vents that contained a fair amount of bat guano at an angle which could results in mass movement of the material. Actually, the material probably reached the lower levels of the cave by slumping as there were no active or old bat roosts directly above the material. Our group was having a philosophical discussion on this issue. So, if you had a mountain of guano fall on you, would it be a crapalanche?