To answer:

> Free fall is possible at an overhung rebelay, but you are correct that
> testing cows tails with a rigid weight is wrong.

I personally think that whereas it could be considered wrong to test
cow's tails with a rigid weight it does give a worst case senario, if
the cow's tail gonna fail then you really don't want to be using it.

Consider it this way: if you, in your flexible body/harness, fall on a
cow's tail in a worst-case senario (free fall) you want it to hold don't
you? Would you rather be hurt and suspended, or dead on the cave floor?

I also don't agree that the cow's tails can be considered static, made
of dynamic rope there is some stretch inherent in there, more than a
static/web harness.

Cheers,
Stefan