Damn, i knew that not reading the latest doc (i read an old version a
while back) would catch up with me :-(

Stefan

________________________________

From: Minton, Mark [mailto:mmin...@nmhu.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 3:00 PM
To: nmcaver; txcaver; gvks
Cc: Ralph Hartley
Subject: [Texascavers] Re: Cow's Tail Tests

      Stefan Creaser said:

>I also don't agree that the cow's tails can be considered static, made
of dynamic rope there is some stretch inherent in there, more than a
static/web harness.

      According to the tests, there is indeed a dynamic component to
cow's tails, at least those made of knotted rope rather than sewn
webbing.  But it came mostly from tightening and deformation of the
knots, not from stretch.  On page 14 they said:

>The results of these tests are all very close to each other, the
standard deviation is only 0.25 kN, while the ropes used are very
different. It seems, therefore, that the tightening of the knots has a
lot more influence on the shock load than the type of rope.

      And again on Page 31:

>In order to compare only the types and diameters of rope, we have
produced averages of the results for each type of rope.
>The results are very close (average of 6.01 kN and standard deviation
of only 0.15 kN or 2,5 %) although these ropes display very different
characteristics and have varied diameters.

      It made little difference what type or diameter (8 - 11 mm) of
rope was used, although dynamic was of course better than static.  But
the length is so short that one wouldn't expect a big effect.

Mark Minton

medium.  Thank you.