Rob Tait said:

Of course if we started making them this side of the pond, we would have to
improve it by adding a string on an encoded reel, to eliminate the need for a
tape.

     Say what?  The way to go if you are electronically surveying is to use a
Disto or the like.  That could be incorporated but it would increase the cost
and size, but probably to good effect.  The thing I wonder about is the stated
(battery life?) of 6 hours continuous use.  I've been on longer surveys, but of
course that would not mean actively shooting angles every minute of the survey.
 I wonder whether simply having the thing on for 6 hours runs it down.

Mark Minton