At 07:03 PM 5/26/2008, Minton, Mark wrote:
      Rob Tait said:

>Of course if we started making them this side of the pond, we would have to improve it by adding a string on an encoded reel, to eliminate the need for a tape.

Disto is great, but am thinking along the line of cheap.  A spool of string that runs over an encoding wheel in and out would be pretty accurate and cheap, and could be pretty small.

My idea of using the sting pull energy to charge the batteries is pretty ridiculous, but never mind that.

Now if you really want to fully survey a cave..  I have access to a SICK laser LIDAR scanner a 2D scanner, but it does eat 24Volt batteries and, and generates LOTS of points.

Cheers

Rob

      Say what?  The way to go if you are electronically surveying is to use a Disto or the like.  That could be incorporated but it would increase the cost and size, but probably to good effect.  The thing I wonder about is the stated (battery life?) of 6 hours continuous use.  I've been on longer surveys, but of course that would not mean actively shooting angles every minute of the survey.  I wonder whether simply having the thing on for 6 hours runs it down.

Mark Minton
--------------------------------------------------------------------- Visit our website: http://texascavers.com To unsubscribe, e-mail: texascavers-unsubscr...@texascavers.com For additional commands, e-mail: texascavers-h...@texascavers.com