I actually did install Ubuntu on my fastest PC (AMD 64 3500+) which also has
a partition dedicated to Fedora 8 - so now its a "triple boot".
The UBUNTU version was touted as being installed from Windows.  I took it to
mean that it would switch back and forth between one and the other - but not
so. Not without a reboot.  Also - although it seemed really 'eager and able'
to resolve driver problems I had with my DVD player - it was not successful,
no more so than Fedora.  Maybe I shouldn't have gone for such a cheap ($40)
motherboard - I'm thinking maybe the chipset is my problem - (though it does
all work with Windows XP pro)
Another problem with UBUNTU - I dont get it - there seems to not be a way to
access the thing as root!  As it won't allow me to access the largest data
partition on my second hard drive because I'm not root... no mp3s - which
there are about 100 gig worth on that hard drive.
During setup, there was no mention of root or supervisory password.  Maybe
it just "flashed by"  I'm mysterio'd by that.  I did load a "root command
console" utility - I haven't yet tried that out.
Weird as well is the way you mount that big data partition when running
Fedora and Ubuntu - its WAYYY non intuitive - the old process of mounting a
/dev/hdb5 (for example) partition that you'd track down in fdisk and setup
with  fstab is not "valid".  Instead - you go to a "home" window select
"media" and you'd find those unmounted partitions in there.  I dunno - it
looks like Linux is being muddled by making it more "user friendly".  I
don't think "df -aH" gives me a clear picture of hard drive usage anymore.
I dont see how I'd do it in a non-graphic mode now.
One more thing I'd like to find that did work on *Red Hat Linux 9* - was a
television card support utility for my 12 year old Hauppage PC TV card.  It
found me - I didnt have to find it!
I havent exactly made an exhaustive search for one - Usually I'd rather be
running an environment that runs all my stuff at once - rather than trying
to make it do so....

I should probably get an even newer machine to hack on - to develop as my
ideal environment (yet for most of the time - I'm SO enjoying watching
streaming video of "The Office" and "Lost" on the 'fast desktop') - but
other investments have priority.

-WaV
In the time of Chimpanzees I was a Monkey