You are probably right about the chipset and your dvd player, I
usually stick with intel or asus mobo's and have never had a problem
with ubuntu on them.

As far as your root problem, give this a try:
    sudo -s
when it prompts you for a password, put your password in, by default,
the initial user for ubuntu has sudo access, and that gives you full
root access... while its a minor security issue, it won't be at your
house behind a firewall... once there, just do this:
    passwd root
and set your root password

once you are setup on root, you should be able to chown your second
drive to your user account

I never messed with any video capture cards or dvr with linux... but i
understand there is a big following of mythbuntu...  I actually put
that on my media pc, but need to get some drives for it and start
archiving my movies onto it.  I don't know how it would work as a
desktop, but I would think it would support your capture card