-----Original Message-----
From: David [mailto:dlocklea...@gmail.com]

However, the ICS is just 13 months away, so it would
seem that cavers efforts need to be focused on that
for the time being.  On one hand it would be nice
to have Punkin paid off by then. But it would also
be nice to have just purchased some other cave that
we could take ICS attendees to.

****************************

I appreciate the thought, but please answer this question. Who is "we"? "We"
implies that "you" are involved and to the best of my knowledge, you are
not. I'm not saying this to harass you David (and if you are involved in the
ICS, my sincere apologies). I'm using this to point out to all on this
listserver that "we" is something I hear from many cavers who are not
involved. They say "we" without offering to help, claiming work, family,
school, and life problems prevent them, as if those working on the ICS have
no such concerns.

There is no lack of Texas caves to take ICS attendees to, but apparently
there is a lack of Texas cavers. For more than the past year, Travis Scott
has posted messages to this listserver and contacted people directly asking
them to lead caving trips at the ICS. You'd think this would be simple since
what we all have in common is going caving, and leading a trip or two would
be easy. Unfortunately, so far few people have offered to help (and he
greatly appreciates those who have!). Some people probably think there is no
rush, after all, the ICS is 13 months and 9 days away (not that I'm
counting). But buses, vans, gasoline costs, and other factors need to be
contracted, reserved, and budgeted now. We can't afford to budget for trips
that we're not confident will happen, and without trip leaders, we can't be
confident. This is not a grotto meeting, grotto trip, or other small event
where you can wait until the last minute and throw something together. Look
at the ICS website, www.ics2009.us. There is a lot going on and an estimated
2,000 people will be coming, spending big bucks to get here, and will expect
us to have our act together

There are many Texas cavers working on the ICS, but there are many more who
aren't. For those who aren't, do you want to see a fine cave or two? I
assume so. Then contact Travis. He'll line you up to check out one of Texas'
finest. You'll go, have a great time, and along the way develop a working
relationship with the landowner, figure out transportation, safety, and cave
protection issues for taking a group to the cave. Then next year, you'll
lead a couple of groups there. This is what you do anyway when you want to
go caving, so it is simple, familiar, and fun. Help Travis out and contact
him -- and Travis is in school, working, raising a family, etc., so if he
can find the time to organize all of the trips, many of you reading this
should be able to find the time to go caving for him. I've cc'ed Travis on
this note so you can contact him directly. Also cc'ed is Joe Mitchell who is
assisting Travis. Include him on your message too in case Travis can't
respond right away.

The ICS will be an incredible event; probably the most significant caving
event ever in the Western Hemisphere. It may easily be 30 years or more
before another comes to the US, and far, far longer before it comes back to
Texas. But it will only be as good as the people who step up to make it
happen. Any of you who are not currently involved, I would love it if you
would become part of "we." If you can't help with trips, contact Nancy
Weaver, also cc'ed, and she'll show you other ways you can join and help
with the ICS.

Many thanks,

George Veni
Chairman, 15th International Congress of Speleology