Here's an idea:
What about turning all of that electricity generated by a wind turbine
into hydrogen?
Right there in the wind turbine itself.  Using water and electrolysis.
If hydrogen truly is going to be the portable energy source (for fuel
cells) would it not make the most sense to produce the hydrogen at the
source rather than losing electrical energy as it is transmitted
through transmission lines?  (Producing massive amounts of hydrogen
would probably also be a great idea at the site of nuclear reactors.
Free oxygen released into the atmosphere would probably not hurt
either!)
The concept is already in play.  One interesting obstacle is what
occurs when metals are exposed to hydrogen.  I think the process is
called "hydrogenation" and it makes metal brittle and weak.  But
isolated from the tower by an isolating layer of plastic, the large
mast that makes the big wind turbine tower becomes a nice storage tank
for compressed hydrogen.
Compressing the metal tube from within would actually make the mast
stronger - but only up to the point that the stress might make the
tower stressed - but otherwise would make the tubular mast stiffer.