Through the years I've crossed my fingers and held high hopes that the same
thing would occur with the logical replacement for the internal combustion
engine (IMO) : the small gas turbine.
If large gas turbines can operate at 80% efficiency and piston combustion
engines are limited to a maximum of 23% by the physics of the otto cycle -
then what's achievable is better than what we got!  And with composites,
ceramics and the brains for real-time digital automation control becoming
cheaper than a cup of coffee - I still am wondering why are such engines not
available (well, except for $200,000 replacement turbine powerplants for
when the six cylinder horizontally opposed, air-cooled 520 cu inch engine in
your Cessna 185 wears out).
Also there is a new alternate powerplant available for small aircraft which
uses jet fuel, but is a two-stroke piston engine - it's more efficient than
a Continental aircraft engine - it costs $75,000.
Progress, sure.  A little. Digital control of the gasoline engine does a
WHOLE lot to improve efficiency of the old standard truck or car motor.  But
powerplant technology seems really pushed to the cutting edge in building
humongous airliner-moving jet engines - not small affordable mass-produced
engines.

I like to imagine a nice little car that is an absolutely true hybrid and
runs on a small generator powered by a tiny fuel efficient
gasoline/diesel/alcohol/LNG turbine.  It would cost millions to build one,
but if millions were built - I'd bet they'd be affordable.

-WaV.
Boycotting the limited selection, and keeping alive the obsolete dinosaurs I
already have.