Turbine cars have been around since 1950, on and off.  They were all custom and impractical....mostly. Chrysler built 50 turbine cars and did customer trials in '65.

http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/chrysler.shtml

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/classic_concept_cars/chrysler_turbine_car.html

GM made a few EV-1 electrics with turbine chargers.

The cool thing about the old turbine engines is that they would burn about anything, gas, jp4, paraffin. I'm not sure about carbide.  Makes getting fuel easier on those backwater cave trips.  (no longer off topic.. )

Turbines are getting very small. Hand held prototypes are being tested.  Microturbines are available from Honeywell, and GE (although in this case Micro the size of a small shed with generator and support gear)

Exotic materials that can withstand high temperatures and high tolerances are factors in high cost.

They may make a comeback yet!

Cheers

Rob, in upstate NY