Sleaze,

Before this string dies I thought of one other mammal that frequents
caves on a somewhat regular basis but probably not much past the
daylight zones of caves with fairly large entrances. Some years ago on
one of the numerous trips which I made to a particular favorite cave we
viewed this animal. We were walking up the slope to Frio Bat Cave and
just when the large drive-in entrance came into view, the largest
Javelina that I have ever seen (and I have seen a few) came running out
of the entrance and headed down hill into the brush. I assume that it
was rooting around for insects or the occasional dead bat.

Javelinas are my favorite critter and once while bird hunting on a large
ranch on the Rio Grande, south of Sanderson, we spooked a small heard
and as a young baby ran by I was able to grab it. I had thoughts of how
cool it would be to raise a pet Javelina but when I picked it up and
looked at its belly, the many dozens of fleas made me quickly put it
down to join its mother. While on this same ranch, Clyde Smith, the
ranch foreman, took us by horse and mule a couple of miles down a ravine
to the Rio Grande's edge. Except for the ravine, the ranch's riverfront
is bordered by cliffs maybe 500 feet high and it is desert country. The
sandy riverbank had a thick growth of cane and amongst the cane was an
adult mountain lion that had recently died with its foot in a trap.
Clyde said that during the previous seven years this was the seventh
lion that they had caught. Keep in mind that this was around 1970 and
since then there has been a greater proliferation of mountain lions and
bears in Texas. Shortly after this trip, Clyde mailed me a Sanderson
newspaper clipping with a picture of a black bear (probably from Mexico)
that had been caught in the same trap.

Fritz, the nostalgia king.

  _____