From: mark.al...@l-3com.com [mailto:mark.al...@l-3com.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2008 11:41 AM
To: Charles Goldsmith
Cc: Kara Savvas; Johnson, Russ (ATX); imoca...@comcast.net; Scott
Nicholson; o...@texascavers.com
Subject: [ot_caving] RE: TexasCaver

Thanks, Charles.

Actually, I have received more compliments than complaints on the TC, so
I shouldn't bitch.

The issue of electronic format versus paper has reared its head more
times  than I can count and it is usually the more

At this past TSA business meeting, it was decided that me and two other
volunteers would look in to a two-tiered membership program that would
have reduced fees for those getting the TC electronically.

We just would have to make sure that with these reduced fees, the TC
would still pay for itself and that the TSA would remain viable.

The other concern, mine included, would be that this file would be sent
all over the place, and even to cavers that weren't members.

heck, if they can get it for free, why join the TSA?

This is probably the main reason a lot of folks are against this. I know
when I was doing the DFWG newsletter, it was the reasoning against going
electronic.

We'll have something by the spring convention and business meeting.

The other hurdle, if the above was passed, is actually emailing the TC.
Even in compressed PDF format, the TC is quite huge.

(I like a lot of pictures!).

A boycott wouldn't be the answer, IMHO. Having a LOT of like-minded
members at the next meeting where we can vote this thru would be the
best.

So far, democracy is keeping this from going forward.

Gotta love it!

Later,

Mark

  _____