Haven't seen this in the PacNW, but I have to agree w/Mark. Probably a marketing gimmick.

Mark said: Aluminum is almost certainly more environmentally damaging to produce than glass, but on the other hand, it won't break and leave sharp shards lying around.

Do glass beer bottles still make sharp shards? I dropped one on my concrete front porch last year and, after getting over the horror of wasting a beer, noticed that most of the bottle had crumbled into a sand-like consistency. No sharp corners, even on the bigger pieces.

Louise

From:  "David Locklear" <dlocklea...@gmail.com>
To:  "Texas Cavers" <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject:  [Texascavers] OT- aluminum bottled beer
Date:  Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:40:19 -0600
This is really old news, but it is caving related
because most cavers like beer, and many
cavers in the world consider beer a part of their after-cave-trip
celebration.

All the young preppies here in Houston
( and the Britney Spears wannabes ) seem to prefer
their beer in an aluminum bottle?

I haven't tried one yet, and I wouldn't be a fair tester
as I have never acquired a taste for beer.

What is up with the aluminum bottle?

Is the only benefit, colder beer?     Or colder beer for
less energy?

Is that better for the environment than a glass bottle?

I assume this has caught on nationwide.

Does the top screw back on?     That could be a benefit.

If there were an occasion to take beer in a cave, then
having it in an aluminum bottle would be ideal, right?
( like during the tuxedo caving trips )

David Locklear
caver in Fort Bend County

old Ref: