David,

Thanks for the reports on the convention, wish I was there.  To try to
briefly answer your question on Indiana and Texas, the red stuff on top
of the rock in Indiana is called soil.  Most folks from south-central
Texas won't recognize it.  Plants and trees like to grown in it -
especially if there is water present.

There is a significant difference in rainfall between Indiana and Texas.
The Hill Country gets between 22 and 30 inches on average - Southern
Indiana is around 45-50 inches I believe. That's why you can grow lots
of corn without irrigation - they have both soil and abundant rainfall
(on average).

The karst systems in Indiana is mostly epigenic in nature, relatively
shallow systems with relatively short flow paths, usually less than 10
miles in length (however, cave lengths may be much longer).  Springs are
smaller than in Texas because of the shorter length of the flow paths as
well as some other reasons - even though Indiana gets more rain.  I
think that largest spring in Indiana is about 10 times smaller than
Comal.

Texas processes, in many places, appear to be more hypogene in nature
with deep and long circulation paths.  Just look at it this way, the
longest caves systems in the world may be in the artesian zone of the
Edwards Aquifer, it just happens to be under water and difficult to
explore.  If the Edwards Aquifer was drained, you would have one
relatively well integrated system that is 150 miles long, 5 to 40 miles
wide, and over 3,000 feet deep.  We're talking 1,000's of miles of
conduits.  The longer more integrated flow paths in Texas would be
expected to produce, but much larger springs, even though rain fall
amounts in Texas are about half of Indiana.

Please understand this is a very limited discussion on karst processes
and that it is really much more complicated than that.

Also, go see Blue Springs Caverns while you're up there.  It's a great
boat ride in a very long cave.  The cave is also owned by a long time
Indiana caver.  You may also get a chance to see some real blind fish.

Geary Schindel