Roger,

If my memory serves me right, Terra Rosa just means red soil.  It is
very characteristic of karst areas but is also found in other non karst
areas depending upon the parent material.  For example, the soils
weathering from some of the granite areas around Llano have some red
(brown) in them rather than being black.  Soil formation is very complex
and I'm not sure if it is fully understood and you're quickly passing my
area of expertise.

In Florida, I know that the Hawthorne Formation (relatively
non-carbonate rock) may account for some of the soils, but certainly not
all of it.  In addition, the limestones in some places may be dirtier
(have more shales and sands) than in other places so those soils may be
formed in place.  I'm not familiar enough with the Florida geology to
know for sure.

Regarding the grasslands, I understand that the earlier settlers that
passed through parts of Kentucky shunned the grasslands for agricultural
purposes because they believed that if they weren't good enough to grow
trees, they probably wouldn't grow much else.  Hence the name Barren
County in Kentucky.  However, it turns out that the grassland areas are
some of the most productive agricultural lands in the state.  They also
grown trees just fine if you suppress fire.

Geary