Excellent!  We need more informative posts like this one!

Ryan

Brian Riordan <riordan.br...@gmail.com> wrote: Sorry for the length of this
one...

 4 weeks is a short amount of time for a beer, or a wine or even a mead.... But
it's PLENTY of time for a small mead.  In fact, you can make a small mead for
consumption by this weekend, and another every week before TCR to pefect your
recipie.

 But Brian, what is a small mead?

I'm glad you asked.  A small mead isn't just a smaller portion of mead- no no
no.  A small mead is a mead that has been fermented for such a short period of
time that the yeast is still active, alive and in solution.  Depending on
individual tastes, this sometimes requires stronger flavors involved to
overpower the taste of yeast.  But, the beauty of a small mead, is that it can
be ready in 3-4 days and keeping everything sterile isn't as much of an issue
(cause it's not sitting around for 8 months).  Downside is, once again, some
yeasty flavors sometimes, and that a small mead will actually not be so tasty
at around ohhh.. say 7 days when it starts to go flat.  If you've kept it
sterile, however, you can then let that small mead turn into a ... well, same
size but just a regular aged mead.

 whew!  that was verbose.

 I'm sure there are recipies for small meads on the net (though i haven't used
any) but any that require the addition of fortified alcohols are an abomination
and should be ignored.

 The more small meads made, the merrier, so I'm gonna suggest a loose recipie
here you can play with.

 The last small mead I made was for the Thanksgiving before last.  So this
basic recipie is based on that holiday/cold weather feel I was searching for.

 required:
 1 Gallon of unfiltered natural apple juice (no preservatives)
 1 can of frozen cranberry juice
 1 packet of lavin yeast D-47 (or champagne yeast if you really wanna give it
some kick... so champagne yeast instead I guess)
 3-5 lbs honey
 1-3 sticks of cinnamon

 optional:
 air lock from a homebrew supply store or
 6" X 6" square of tin foil

 The gallon bottle of unfiltered apple juice is for use for both content, and
the bottle to ferment in.  Make sure that the apple juice doesn't have any
perservatives because the yeast will have a hard time growing in there.

 Pour the whole gallon of apple juice into a clean cookpot on your stove and
bring it close to a boil but DON'T BOIL IT at anytime.
 Empty the can of cranberry juice into the cookpot
 Pour in the honey slowly stirring it into solution
 Allow the liquid to mix fully and turn off heat

 It might be a good idea to taste the liquid at this point to compare for
future brews.  I like these kind of small meads to be sweet like a soda, but
before any fermentation takes place, this liquid will taste FAR sweeter than
the end product.  Because this drink will never fully ferment, you won't lose
as much sweetness (or gain as much alcohol) as most traditional recipies, but
it's a good idea to get a feel or taste for the difference in sweetness for
future comparison/tweeking.

 Pour the cooled liquid back into the gallon jug the apple juice came in.  You
will have extra, obviously.  Do what you wish with that.

 When the liquid has dropped temperature to approximately room temp. maybe a
bit warmer "pitch" the yeast.  You'll probably have to get the yeast from a
brew store or online (or you can use a bread yeast... but it will most likely
make the drink smell like fresh bread).  Most of these yeasts are dehydrated,
so i like to test my yeast before i "pitch" it (or put it into the brew).

 To test or prep the yeast, put maybe half a cup of warm water in bowl with a
tablespoon of sugar and pour the dried yeast into the mixture.  If in 5-10
minutes the yeast is frothy, pour the yeast/water/sugar mixture into the bottle
containing the juice/honey mixture.  If it doesn't become frothy, or bubble up,
your yeast has expired.  Burry it.

 Finally, drop the cinnamon into the bottle and put the airlock on the top.
alternately, for a small mead you can just wrap some tin foil over the top.
You DO NOT want to seal the bottle.  Lots of C02 will be forming and possible
blow up the bottle.  Put the tin foil on to allow air to escape, but
particulates in the air to not fall in.

 Wait about 4 days and drink.

 lots of times this can be consumed at room temp, or you can put it in the
fridge over night  which will settle the yeast.  In which case you can use a
siphon to take the juice off the top of the settled yeast, reducing yeast
flavor.  Or just pour the whole mixture through a coffee filter.

 experiment!  anything with sugar and no preservatives will ferment.  I've made
5 gallons of hard country time.  A very inexpensive party juice.

 Hope to see some homebrews at TCR now.

 -B

 On 9/18/07, wwildch...@aol.com <wwildch...@aol.com> wrote: Wow, I like how
Sandi works.  She is gathering people that do homebrew to bring homebrew to her
location. That is such a novel idea, that I am going to say that I love Chili
so I am going to gather all of you who would like to make  some chili to come
to my camp (with your chili) so we can discuss and taste the different chilis,
or better yet we can meet at Sandi's camp and try the beer and chili together.
:)

Actually Sandi I'll let you know that with only 4 weeks until TCR there is
enough time to brew your own, but I prefer to age mine a bit more than that.
I'll send you some links off-list so you can get a basic brewing kit if you
want. If you lived in HOuston I would say come on over on Saturday and see how
it's done, but perhaps someone in your area is brewing that can invite you
over.

I can not think of a single caving adventure that I did not partake in a beer
during that day (liquid carbohydrates) so I think beer is cave related, plus
your trying to gather like minded individuals at TCR so this seems very cave
related. But, I'll do the rest off list.

I like beer, it makes me a jolly good fellow.
Puppy
=:-)

 Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
pretty and well preserved body,but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used
up,totally burned out, and loudly proclaiming,
WOW !!!! What a ride! (UK)