On Jun 13, 2007, at 1:54 PM, David Locklear wrote:

Cavers should always carry things like fan belts, radiator hose,
duct-tape, bailing
wire, pliers, extra water for radiator, tire repair kit, spare tire,
etc. when travelling in the mountains.

Ed Goff and I fixed my Geo Prizm with zip ties on a road trip out to TAG one year. He had a few spares ties in his cave pack. Now I carry zip ties in my truck and cave pack, too.

I am really surprised that we don't have a car advertised as
a"Disposable Car."   This car would be designed to fall apart all at
once at say 50,000 miles or 100,000
miles.    You would only do basic maintenance and then recycle it.
What is the
closest thing we have to that?

David, this brings to mind a favorite childhood memory of mine: reading Oliver Wendell Holmes' "The Deacon's Masterpiece, Or, The Wonderful 'One-Hoss Shay': A Logical Story." Check it out here:

http://holyjoe.org/poetry/holmes1.htm

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.