Preston Forsythe said:

>Has anyone every noticed a Toyota dealer in Mexico? I do not remember even
>seeing a Toyota dealer in Mexico. This is for repairs on a trip, if necessary.

      According to the rumor I heard, Toyota used to sell their vehicles in
Mexico, but one time long ago they shipped some vehicles over for an auto show
and afterwards when they went to take them back, the Mexican authorities told
them those vehicles were "gifts" to Mexico and appropriated/confiscated them.
This so outraged Toyota that they withdrew from the Mexican market.  That seems
like an unlikely scenario to me, akin to cutting off your nose to spite your
face, as the saying goes.  They would lose far more in sales than the value of
some confiscated vehicles.  Whatever the reason, there have in fact not been
any Toyota dealers in Mexico for many years.  For parts one had to go either
north to the U. S. or south to Guatemala, which is why I always carry an
assortment of likely to fail parts like wheel bearings, fuel pump, etc.  Nissan
has always been there, though, which is another reason it seems unlikely Toyota
would have voluntarily withdrawn.  In any event, I heard that a few years ago
Toyota had reentered the Mexican market!  I have not yet seen a Toyota dealer
myself, but presumably they should start to appear in larger cities.  From
<http://www.toyota.com/about/operations/na-affiliates/index.html>:

Toyota Motor Sales de México, S. de R.L. de C.V.
Headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico. Established 2001.

Toyota Motor Sales de México is responsible for sales, marketing and service
operations for Toyota vehicles in Mexico. There are currently 29 dealerships in
Mexico.

      See also <http://www.toyota.com.mx/> , where a clickable map with
distributor locations may be found at
<http://www.toyota.com.mx/elegir/default.aspx>.