Any idea what caused the bees to be so grumpy?

Could they have been Africanized?

George

On 6/17/07, Tone G <tone.ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

One for Winnie-the-Pooh
A True Caver Account by Tone Garot
2007 June 17

I have come across some most interesting experiences when caving or doing
caving related sports.  Today was no exception.  David Ochel, vertical
practice leader for the UT Grotto, had contacted me several days ago to see
if I could help out with Vertical 201 practice at the Urban Assault wall at
the Greenbelt.  Normally rock climbing walls, the bolts can also be used for
training in use of a frog system.  I arrived around 9:15 a.m. to find the
big drop already rigged and Matt was finishing the rigging on one of the two
ropes at the short drop.

After I did the long drop then the small drop, I stayed at the top
chatting with the guys about caving stories and whatnot.  It was getting
toward the time to de-rig and pack up, so several of us wanted to get in one
last drop.  I went down the small drop on the non-rebelay rope then went
back up.  Since the two ropes were maybe six feet apart, I stopped at the
same level as the rebelay point of the other rope to take pictures of Gary
Franklin, Director of Precinct 2 of the Edwards Aquifer, as he ascended.
Pictures of these type are always useful for the UT Grotto website.
Suddenly I hear buzzing.  I try to shoo it away, but, as luck would have it,
this honey bee feels that I did him an injustice.  After assurances to my
guiltlessness fail, he stings me, and I swat him, and he falls, and I do
not.  Then I hear more buzzing, so I immediately put away my camera and head
up the last six or so feet of rope.  As I ascend, the bees start stinging me
like crazy.  The next five minutes or so are a haze to me, so I will try to
relate it as I remember.  I pulled myself up the remaining rope with gloved
hands, knees, and feet to reach the top, and start to run, all while hitting
myself.  Of course, I am still attached to the rope, so I only make it about
six feet.  I remember slapping my face really, really hard because these
bees seemed to converge there.  I also remember yelling something like
"someone help me!  Someone get me a towel!"  Eventually I get my croll and
ascender off the rope, so I start heading up the trail.  Matt came to my
assistance, smacking bees on me, then also finding that he is not immune to
their wrath.  Soon the worst was over.  I still had a bee lodged in my
T-shirt buzzing.  I helped liberate his soul from this cruel world.  I
headed back to the vehicles with Matt following.

As luck would have it, I am allergic to just about everything under the
sun.  Cats, some dogs, airborne allergens, something in beer, and I'm even
lactose intolerant.  I honestly don't recall ever being stung by a bee
before, so I am a little fearful of the effect of over *twenty* stings.
Matt and I chill by the vehicles talking about what just happened and
pulling the stingers out.  Yes, the stings are starting to swell and become
red, and yes, they hurt.  After about ten minutes, the rest of the guys come
up bearing the rest of the gear that was left behind.  It turns out that
several of the guys got stung also.

David, Gary, and Matt decided to get some lunch before returning to de-rig
the ropes.  I declined the invitation as I wasn't much in the mood for food
at the moment.  After everyone decided that we were all ok, I headed home.
After a shower, I fell asleep.  It must have been around noon.

Gary called me around 2:15 p.m. to see if I was ok.  I didn't make it to
the phone, but I did call him back shortly thereafter.  I was in a sort of
delirium, and I couldn't believe how nauseous I felt.  I eventually went
back to bed.  David instant messaged me around 3 p.m. to see if I was ok.
I told him "the welts aren't much bigger.  In fact, they look much the same
as when I left the parking area."  I asked him if he de-rigged and he said
"I ended up wearing my muddy pants from yesterday, and my balaclava, and got
on rope.  Well, I had derigged the rebelay and was about to switch over to
climb up, because all looked quiet... and then one of them started bumping
into me so I changed the plan and went down... never been rappelling that
fast!"  He also said that he thought both Matt and Gary got one more sting
while at the top de-rigging.

As for me, I felt sick to my stomach and light headed from about noon to
5:45 p.m.  I tried getting up several times only to lie back down.  My
plan to make it to the Sunday Swim at Pete Strickland's place was not meant
to be.  Today is Mike's birthday, and Chloe and I had made plans to get him
there, have a cake, and make his favorite Mango Margaritas.  Instead, I gave
Mike the bottle of tequila I promised, and I told him happy birthday.

So, at about 6 p.m. this evening, I felt very hungry.  During my delirium,
two thoughts repeated through my head.  The first was a phrase from Eddy
Izzard that Wes mimicked at Punkin cave, "I don't want a cup of coffee from
you! You're covered in bees!"  The second thought coursing through my head
was to eat *honey* on a graham cracker.  And that's exactly what I
did—spitefully.  Here's one for you, Winnie.

        "What do you want a balloon for?" you said.

        Winnie-the-Pooh looked round to  see  that  nobody  was
listening,  put  his  paw  to  his  mouth,  and  said in a deep
whisper: "Honey!"

        "But you don't get honey with balloons!"

        "I do," said Pooh.