From: Texascavers [mailto:texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com] On Behalf Of
Diana Tomchick via Texascavers
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:16 PM
To: Cave Tex <texascavers@texascavers.com>
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] White-Nose Syndrome in PNW scientific article

Let me clarify what constitutes authorship on a scientific article.

It does not necessarily mean that a person wrote one of the paragraphs. In
fact, in the future we may have artificial intelligence to thank for writing
much of the routine text in our articles and technical manuals.

It DOES mean that an author is a person that is responsible for one or more of
the following:

Coming up with the original idea (i.e., the hypothesis) for the experiment
Collecting data Analyzing data Presenting data (in graphical, written or other
forms such as videos, etc.) Supervising the people that collect, analyze and
present the data Drawing important conclusions from the data and testing new
hypotheses that result from this all-important step Writing the text of the
final document

You want and NEED all of these people to be listed as authors—as they are the
ones that are legitimately responsible for the final published work. If there
are any questions about what is presented in the work, everyone knows who is
responsible.

We call this transparency, which unfortunately is lacking in other important
human endeavors.

Diana

Diana R. Tomchick
Professor
Departments of Biophysics and Biochemistry University of Texas Southwestern
Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
diana.tomch...@utsouthwestern.edu
(214) 645-6383 (phone)
(214) 645-6353 (fax)

> On Aug 31, 2016, at 11:59 AM, Cavers Texas <texascavers@texascavers.com>
> wrote:
>
> Wow! Fourteen alleged authors for an article with eight paragraphs.
> How many of those people do you think were really authors, i.e.,
> writers? How many of them were just bottle washers? -- Mixon
> Always forgive your enemies after they are hanged.

UT Southwestern

Medical Center

The future of medicine, today.