Cooking is work. And I think that became obvious to our last head cook and
there is little in the way of recompense other than a pat on the back. That
only works for so long. And like I have said I was head cook for many years
and retired. Felicia Vreeland was my second in command and ran a very tight
ship. The whole idea started moons ago when we decided to have a caver cook
off at a ranch in Wimberly where the old UT Grotto guys showed up. I know
It isn't a Grotto. There were about 20 guys there and they all cooked what
they wanted to and enough to feed the crowd. We even had stuffed jelly
fish, which won first prize. It was pretty much fun. Lots of food and lots
of BS. The next was a real OTR and I know I call it by the wrong name. That
was Luckenbach the first OTR and there were maybe a dozen cooks. After that
the group got bigger because there was some competition as to how eclectic
we could get in our menu. Most everyone prepared 20 pounds of something.
That kept up for at least 20 years. And as time passed some of the cooks
actually died. Some got too old to cook and other just moved away. The core
held on for awhile and then they decided to pass the baton. Twentyfive
years without many new volunteers was not inspiring.

I have done a few events since then with catering. I always used someone I
knew really well to cater. I grew up with Jim Mosley and his brother in law
and ate at their house and remember the Dellwood Cafeteria with Jimmy's ice
sculptures. Long gone and long ago. His son did the HEB Thanksgiving feeds
in SA and was excellent. He did a couple of weddings for me and they were
great. Lots of food and variety. But I lost contact with them and all their
eating places have closed. But I am sure someone knows a good caterer who
would understand the drill. You give them a menu and they prepare it. I
always think three meats and as many salad and veggies as possible and
perhaps the cavers make the deserts? This is just an idea. BBQ works as
well as Mexican food. There are some great BBQ places in and around
Fredicksburg and San Antonio is a bastion of Mexican food. Ed Alexander
once upon a time catered Luckenbach with enchiladas in 1970. But he is gone
now to the cave in the sky.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Don Arburn via Texascavers <
texascavers@texascavers.com> wrote:

> Currently TCR doesn't have a head cook, or menu. There have been
> complaints, rumors and talk about this subject. It seems there are three
> to cook.
>
> Each has its benefit and drawbacks. I need to get a feel for options.
>

> Discuss:
>

> --Tex Caver
>

> --Don

Charlie Loving