Nice work,
I started my own split view branch but nothing ever came out of it, I made it
too complicated for myself.
I kept separate editor_t context per split view, which added complexity. I had
an idea that I could extend it to collaborative editing.
I never bothered figuring out the active textview part. And it was horizontal
split only.

What I liked about my attempt was separate split view state per document. This
was inspired by Total Finder.
And a close button in the statusbar, if I remember it was somewhat convoluted
trying to figure out which view to close, since the statusbar belong to the
view above, but should close the view below.

Anyway here is the link for archeologists:
https://github.com/joachimm/textmate/tree/split

I’ll see if I can port some of my ideas.

--
Joachim Mårtensson