Wrt the query raised by Mr Bala this is my know-how as I read in detail
many treatises. The verse is from Skanda puranam only and not Manu smriti
anywhere in 12 chapters. However a similar version but not in exactitude ,
is discussed , in Mahabharatham 12 canto shanti Parva from chap 181.

-SkandaPurana, Khanda (canto) 6 (NagaraKhanda), Chapter 239, Shlokas 31-34

{ Chapter 239: Section 1 - Tīrthamāhātmya

nārada uvāca |

upacāraiḥ ṣoḍaśabhiḥ pūjanaṃ kriyate katham |

te ke ṣoḍaśa bhāvāḥ syurnityaṃ ye śayane hareḥ || 1

trayīmayaṃ brahmaviṣṇurudrarūpaṃ triviṣṭapam |

yasya prabhāvādvipreṃdra mānavo dvija ucyate || 30 ||

janmanā jāyate śūdraḥ saṃskārāddvija ucyate |

śāpānugrahasāmarthyaṃ tathā krodhaḥ prasannatā || 31 ||******

trailokyapravaratvaṃ ca brāhmaṇādeva jāyate |

na brāhmaṇasamo bandhurna brāhmaṇasamā gatiḥ || 32 ||

II     apart from this, similarity is seen from these 2 verses:

जन्मते शूद्र पुनः गयी शूद्रा। कृत्रिम जनेऊ घाली जगधुदा।

 By birth one becomes Shudra, Now blind Shudras Now again make a dividing
line among them. How futile. _By kabir

 जन्मान जायते शूद्र। विप्रयत द्विज (ब्राह्मण)। Lo! Whoever took birth is
Shudra. But by purification of mind and attaining Vedic knowledge by faith
one become Dwija (Brahman) _ By Atri rishi

III     Mahabhartam 12  181  shanti parva:"*"Bhrigu said, 'There is really
no distinction between the different orders.* The whole world at first
consisted of Brahmanas. Created (equal) by Brahman, men have, in
consequence of their acts, become distributed into different orders. They
that became fond of indulging in desire and enjoying pleasures, possessed
of the attributes of severity and wrath, endued with courage, and unmindful
of the duties of piety and worship,-

-these Brahmanas possessing the attribute of Passion,--became Kshatriyas. Those
Brahmanas again who, without attending to the duties laid down for them,
became possessed of both the attributes of Goodness and Passion, and took
to the professions of cattle-rearing and agriculture, became Vaisyas. Those
Brahmanas again that became fond of untruth and injuring other creatures,
possessed of cupidity,--engaged in all kinds of acts for a living, and
fallen away from purity of behaviour, and thus wedded to the attribute of
Darkness, became Sudras. Separated by these occupations, Brahmanas, falling
away from their own order, became members of the other three orders.

  *All the four orders, therefore, have always the right to the performance
of all pious duties and of sacrifices*. Even thus were the four orders at
first created equal by Brahman who ordained for all of them (the
observances disclosed in) the words of Brahma (in the Vedas). Through
cupidity alone, many fell away, and became possessed by ignorance.

So that verse is only from Skanda Puranam. However the description of twice
born by Manu smrithi may confuse  your mind reproduced below:

IV       Verse 2.169 [Meaning of Term ‘Twice-born’]

मातुरग्रेऽधिजननं द्वितीयं मौञ्जिबन्धने ।

तृतीयं यज्ञदीक्षायां द्विजस्य श्रुतिचोदनात् ॥ १६९ ॥

 māturagre'dhijananaṃ dvitīyaṃ mauñjibandhane |tṛtīyaṃ yajñadīkṣāyāṃ
dvijasya śruticodanāt || 169 ||

 According to the directions of the Revealed Word, the first birth of the
twice-born man is from the mother, the second, after the Ggirdle-tying
ceremony, and the third, after sacrificial initiation.—(169)

Medhātithi’s commentary (manubhāṣya):

‘Mātuḥ—from the mother;—‘agre’—first—‘adhijananam,’—birth, of man.

 ‘The second, after the girdle-tying ceremony’;—i.e., after the Upamyana.
The short vowel ‘i’ in the term ‘mauñjibandhane’ is according to Pāṇini
6-3-63, by which there is much latitude given in regard to vowels contained
in proper names.

 ‘The third, after sacrificial initiation,’—such as the Jyotiṣṭoma and the
rest. This initiation also has been described as ‘birth’ in such passages
as—‘when the priests initiate the sacrificer, they bring about a repetition
of birth.’

 These arc the three births of twice-born men, described in tho Veda.

 “In that case the man becomes thrice-born.”

 Let that be so; as a matter of fact, the Upanayana is the basis of the
name ‘twice-born’;—and it is on this name that the man’s title to the
performance of Śrauta, Smārta and conventional rites is based. Tho mention
of the first and third

 ‘births’ is simply for the purpose of eulogising the second one, which is
the best of all births; [As regards the third birth] it is only the
performance of sacrifices to which the uninitiated man is not entitled;
while the one who has not undergone the Upanayana ceremony is not entitled
to any religious act at all.

 Others hold, that it is ‘Fire-kindling’ that is here spoken of as
‘sacrificial initiation,’ on the ground of its Leing the forerunner of all
sacrifices. That Fire-kindling also is regarded as a ‘birth’ is shown by
such passages as—‘he who does not kindle the fire is as good as
unborn.’—(169)

Explanatory notes by Ganganath Jha

Hopkins is not quite accurate in his interjectory remark—“So the twice
-born has three births!” It is not every twice-born person that has three
births; the third ‘birth’ belongs to only that twice-born person who is
initiated for a sacrifice. Hopkins might as well exclaim in connection with
the next verse—“So the twice-born has two mothers and two fathers!”

 Comparative notes by various authors

Vaśiṣṭha (2. 3)—(reproduces the first part of Manu).

 Viṣṇu (27. 37)—(reproduces the first part of Manu).

 Yājñavalkya (1. 39).—‘For the first time, the Brāhmaṇa, the Kṣatriya and
the Vaiśya are born from their mother; for the second time, out of the
girdle-tying Rite (of Upanayana); it is for this reason that they have been
declared to be twice-born.’

Verse 2.170

तत्र यद् ब्रह्मजन्मास्य मौञ्जीबन्धनचिह्नितम् ।

तत्रास्य माता सावित्री पिता त्वाचार्य उच्यते ॥ १७० ॥

tatra yad brahmajanmāsya mauñjībandhanacihnitam |

tatrāsya mātā sāvitrī pitā tvācārya ucyate || 170 ||

Among these, at that Brahmic birth which is. marked by the tying of the
girdle, the Sāvitrī has been declared to be his “Mother,” and the Teacher
his “Father.”—(170)

Verse 2.171

वेदप्रदानादाचार्यं पितरं परिचक्षते ।

न ह्यस्मिन् युज्यते कर्म किञ्चिदा मौञ्जिबन्धनात् ॥ १७१ ॥

 vedapradānādācāryaṃ pitaraṃ paricakṣate |

na hyasmin yujyate karma kiñcidā mauñjibandhanāt || 171 ||

 They call the Teacher “father,” on account of his imparting the Veda.
Before the tying of the girdle, the performance of no religious act is
proper for him.—(171)

K Rajaram  IRS  20524

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx