I think my joke fell flat.

Just to point out lest anyone think I'm an ASS (actually I have been a
member of the Alberta Speleological Society), you left out the "only half
joking" part of the control freak quote, it was tongue in cheek and I was
making fun of myself for enjoying being the "boss". I'm not sure if you got
that, Bruce. If you did great, then I didn't catch your sarcasm - it is so
hard to do with email especially if you don't know your correspondent. It
also left me realizing that a lot of people on this list are multilingual
(awesome!) with english as a 2nd 3rd or 4th language and they might have
missed that I was making fun of myself. I also meant to reply privately to
you, Bruce, but I had two email programs running at the same time and
answered the the wrong email from you. It's looking grim for me figuring
out Therion if I can't even use email ;-) (I make jokes at my own expense
until I get to know you and then its fair game.)

 There are literally less than a dozen active cave explorers on Vancouver
Island and most of them could't be bothered to track down the old data let
alone maintain it. There are more people who get out infrequently, survey
small caves, but few who want to do longer exploration trips.

I adopted the Glory 'ole caving area in 1998 after my first survey trip
because nobody else cared. It was literally my first survey trip and I
became the project leader because I was the only candidate.  I had to track
down retired cavers across the country to find 15 year old data. I
resurveyed kms of passage and had to twist peoples arms to help. There's no
motivation like "I've got a awesome lead but lets do some resurveying
first." Again I hate resurveying.

Martin Davis takes care of the Weymer Creek data (30 + km) and many other
areas because well somebody has to. We both are open to other people
helping out but so far no-one has stepped up. There's a guy who manages
Holely Mountain but he really does't cave with anyone but his crew. There's
a guy who started exploration in Thanksgiving cave - but all he has done is
scoop passage in the past two years - no surveying. There are whole amazing
caving areas that have been abandoned since the heyday of Vancouver Island
caving in the 80's: Clayoquot Plateau, White Ridge, Thanksgiving Ridge,
Benson River, Tahshish, Skull Lake, crying for someone to explore them and
preserve their data. There were three caving related deaths in a period of
a few years that probably contributed to the decline of the caving scene
here.

It sounds like you have a very different situation in New Zealand.

I would love it if I could have the versioning system and multiple people
drawing, that is why I picked Therion. I am hoping to facilitate a
consortium of cave mappers tackling Vancouver Island caves. I heed your
call to share the load Bruce. Plus I have three kids under 5, if that
doesn't count for succession planning then I don't know what does ;-)

Yeah, Therion is not user friendly, but I'll figure it out. There seems to
be a great community supporting it. It is by far the most awesome program
for keeping final maps up to date and like you said it is just developing.
Once somebody develops a user interface that doesn't require coding skills
its going to be amazing.

Again thanks for all the help from the Therion community.

Rob Countess,
tongue-in-cheek, sarcastic, mini-tyrant of Vancouver Island Caves.