Hi,

you can modify the appearance of lines (using s_vgrid MetaPost macro as you
tried) and also the alignment of the altitude labels (using \gridcoord TeX
macro).

This modification (it's simplified and wouldn't work for the plan
projection) displays coordinates on the outer side of the imaginary map
box, vertically centered on the elevation lines:

\def\gridcoord#1#2{\hbox to0pt{%
  \ifnum#1=3\hss\fi
  \ifnum#1=9\hss\fi
    \vbox to0pt{%