> I think that the problem is caused by this line:
>
> rv.prjname = thcs_get_label(params).c_str();
>
> because rv.prjname now contains a pointer to a temporary (and already
> destroyed) string.

Bravo on the speedy bug hunting!

> With every run the string changes

Heart sank as soon as I read that. Never as easy to narrow those down.
Have to set up enough state beforehand to get the nonsense, so cutting
the lines out of the file often makes the bug go away. I assume one of
your cartographers was listed with an unexpected name on the PDF when it
"worked". Or perhaps some other little string.

Bisect is definitely the easiest way to do it. At least enough to give
the dev an idea of what code to analyse.