That’s an interesting anecdote, thanks Andrew. Conversely I had a surveyor
complete a traverse around my house, a distance of about 60m from about 6 legs,
with a loop closure error of 3mm. He was reasonably pleased with that!  Also,
mines are surveyed very accurately, eg consider the precision drilling
described in the book Bad Ground by Tony Wright. So it would be interesting to
understand why the Wookey Hole survey was so bad!

I picked up an optical Theodolite from eBay for about £100. It’s a beautiful
instrument, and I am interested in using it underground in the right setting.

So it would be useful to be able to incorporate Theodolite angular measurements
into the Therion or Survex network with appropriately small standard
deviations, notwithstanding Andrew’s observation in Wookey, but they would have
to be treated differently to magnetic bearings.

Can anyone suggest the mathematical approach for doing that?  Apologies that’s
very lazy of me to ask!

I did consider using an approach similar to Andrew’s, ie to calibrate the
Theodolite against a magnetic leg, but intuitively that seems to tie the
measurement to the inaccuracy of a single leg losing the benefit of error
reduction across multiple measurements of the magnetic field (which is what
happens in a magnetic traverse). It feels that somehow we need to use both
techniques at the same time, using the Theodolite to “lock” the angle between
legs while using the compass to align the survey to North.

Andrew you might be able to see it more clearly than me, am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone