> If there is a real need for a switch between converting and not
> converting the heights, let us know.

At least here in the UK, a lot of rough and ready surveys seem to use
Garmin handheld GPS units like the 66sr. These use barometric altitude,
which you calibrate to a local benchmark. That means you get local
mapping heights that do not need to be converted, while the GPS
coordinates would need to be converted.

Anyone relying on this approach (which already is rather poor from an
accuracy perspective) would indeed need you to perform conversion on x
and y but not z, while anyone using a proper GPS unit which outputs
ellipsoid heights would need you to convert x, y, and z. I therefore see
a need for it to be controllable.

Personally, I use real GPS ellipsoid heights, which I manually convert
using continental drift calculations and the higher quality
OSTN15+OSGM15 transformation (since these then remain correct in spite
of continental drift). I do not rely on proj for that, and have built my
own tool instead, since proj does not have access to the data required
for it.

Tarquin