Hmmm..... Maybe I am not using the splay flag correctly? Is there another flag that might be more appropriate?

The reason those stations are flagged as splay is because they do not contribute to the length of the cave. They are just connecting a side passage into the rest of the survey. Marking the shots as splay means they get left out of the total length calculation.

That part of the cave is a big challenge to survey. The main feature there is a stairwell with steel hand rails on either side. The rails really mess with the compass measurements. We tried every which way but could not get a good match between forward and backward compass. I just have to trust that averaging the shots will get somewhere reasonably close to correct.

It also is a place where a lower level stream passage (the E series), a mid-level side passage (the BU series) and the main passage (plain numbers going up the stairs) all come together.

The survey trips in this part of the cave happened over three years. We did not know the BU passage existed until someone was just fooling around climbing over a rail and along a rock shelf full of electric lights. From the stairs it looks like a shallow alcove. Even the tour guides who go past there multiple times every day had no idea. Had we known, we would have left a good tie-in station. As it is - we had to make due.

An extract from the centerline data file looks like this:

==========================
data normal from to tape compass clino backcompass backclino left right up down

# Side passage behind the overlook
flags splay
# The next line is the data we actually shot. Getting it to fit right on the map
# required juggling the numbers a bit, and that is the second line.
#  3      BU1     4.8     345.5    5.3    180.5   -6.3   - - - -
  3      BU1     4.0     315.5    5.3    135.5    -6.3   - - - -
  BU1    BU2    11.6      53.1   84.4    228.4   -84.9   16.8 2.2 1.1 11.6
flags not splay
  BU2    BU3    18.6     152.8    0.5    332.1   -0.7   4.6 0 0.5 5.1
  BU3    BU4    20.5     137.1   -1.1    318.1    1.4   10.7 6.8 1.0 2.2
  BU4    BU5    18.5      68.6    2.5    248.7   -2.3   4.9 1.9 1.0 0.8
  BU5    BU6    11.3     141.7   10.0    323.1  -11.1   0.5 10.6 7.2 2.3
  BU6    BU7     7.8     207.0   18.6     27.9  -19.6   12.9 4.4 18.2 2.8
  BU7    BU8     6.9     130.3  -48.0    312.4   47.8   3.8 3.7 5.9 0.5
  BU8    BU9     8.6     184.0   10.4      3.2   -9.8   6.4 2.6 3.4 3.0

Bill Gee