Hi Bruce -

I am glad to hear someone else has seen this kind of problem. It is really not much more than annoying since no one but me sees the .lox files. I have CaveView on a web server, so I suppose that might count as publishing the file.

I am using Therion 6.1.8 and Survex 1.4.5 running on Fedora 38. I compiled Therion from source. Survex is the package the Jim Begley puts in his COPR repository.

The Stark Caverns survey project has been going since December 2018. It has been run through quite a few versions of both applications. Every compile job builds the .lox file from scratch, so there should not be any cruft from old versions.

And now I find something REALLY interesting! Mentioning CaveView in the first paragraph reminded me that it is a full LOX viewer with no dependency on Loch. Just for grins - I copied the latest Stark Caverns LOX file over to that server and opened it up. No spike! The anomaly is not there in CaveView. Take a look ...

https://campercaver.net/CaveView/my-index.html

and use the gear icon to choose the Stark Caverns file.

I think something odd is going on in Loch. What other applications can open a .lox file? I gave it a quick try in MeshLab, but it does not recognize .lox as a valid file type.

Bill Gee