I've made limited progress. My browser now recognmises that I'm trying
to display an SVG picture but doesn't actually draw the picture I
intend. Here's what I've done and what I'm thinking of trying next.

I've inserted the <embed statement while editing the html (an option
provided by the HTMLArea editor). This seems to recognise the "<" sign
much better than when I placed the <embed statement in the wysiwyg
editor itself. (A look at the genereated html for the whole TW when
the tiddler was on display showed "embed .. preceded by "lt" when I
pasted the <embed statement into the wysiwyg part of the editor rather
than "&lt" which was generated by the ASCIISvg grapher.

Once I set HTMLArea to show me the html and pasted the <embed
statement there, I could no longer see that part of the statement when
viewing the tiddler instead of seeing all the code I'd pasted in.
Guessing this meant that the embed statement was being acted upon
instead of merely redisplayed as code, this seemed to be a little
progress.

I now also see an area in the displayed tiddler which my browser
clearly thinks is an SVG area because a right click in IE6 offers SVG
menu options.

The recomended code at the ASCIISvg web site includes a reference to a
file called "d.svg". In HTMLArea this is located at "HTMLArea\plugins
\AsciiSvg\d.svg" so I edited the HTML to reflect this longer relative
path. This made no practical difference that I can see so I'm simply
guessing it's correct.

I had a further problem with the raw html editor within HTMLArea. It
seems to change the script delimiters from the single quotes that I
pasted in to double quotes. As I was initially trialling an ASCIISvg
script that contained parameters demarcated by double quotes I guessed
there'd be confusion about nested double quotes and therefore trialled
a script that contained no other double quotes to avoid confusion.
Currently I'm trying a tiddler for which HTMLArea shows the the
following html:

script="initPicture(-2,2,-2,2);axes();line([-2,-2],[2,2]);" /><p /

Although an SVG area is displayed by my browser now, I'm still not
seeing the desired drawing.

1) I've tried placing width and height paramenetsr after the "embed"
word but these get stripped out by the editor - I'm not sure why.

2) I don't see the line drawn as requested by the code or even the
axes that should appear. I do get a dialog box merely saying
"undefined" a few times before I clear it. I don't yet know how to fix
this and don't yet know if this is clue to the failed drawing or
whether it relates to something else.

I've compared the generated html for the whole TW to the code
generated by the ASCIISvg graphing window available inside HTMLArea
and that contains an ssrc statement that I've not seen in any ASCIIsvg
coding. I'm currently guessing that the graphing window is therefore
generating SVG code rather than ASCIISvg code and that my problem lies
in getting ASCIISVG code recognised.

I'll explore how to insert SVG code in my html to see if that draws
lines correctly. If SVG code works but ASCIISvg does not, this might
support the view that my problem lies in ASCIIsvg code recognition.
(I'd also be puzzled why ASCIISvg is present with this version of
HTMLArea since, to my limited understanding, it'd suggest that
ASCIISvg isn't actually used anywhere in the grapher).

But if anyone already spots why my graph still won't draw even though
I'm now at least invoking the SVG viewer, I'd be delighted to hear
from you as I admit that I feel I'm groping in the dark a little at
present.

Thanks

Kevin