Ok, having backed off and gotten just a little bit of perspective on
this, I think a major re-think is in order.

It hasn't escaped my attention that out of about 6.5 billion people,
exactly two have expressed interest in using this program ... and one
of them wants another time system.

Cheerfully ignoring the first and most significant part of that, I
think I've again been thinking too "small".  Keep in mind that I threw
the first version of this (the macro) together in my spare time over
two days- a few hours- for my own use, and just to put Internet Time
in journal titles, nothing else.

It's already become a great deal more generic (thanks to Eric's
suggestions), and I can see that if there's ANY demand for this, it's
probably going to be to make it more generic. So.... here's what I now
have in mind:

ONE program. I'm rapidly becoming convinced that I don't want to
maintain more than one in parallel for this.

I've already chucked the "newJournalPlusSIT" macro. Time to chuck
"InternetTimePlugin".   Maybe "AlternateDateTimePlugin"?

Still support the "@bbb.bb" format for Swatch Internet Time display.

Support the "NETDEGMINSEC" format (or whatever it turns out to be) for
NET display.

That leaves the (current) "@" delimiters, used in the prototype to
return date/time in arbitrary TW formats for Biel, Switzerland, to
match the "@bbb.bb" display (combining local date and either NET or
SIT in a display without making it very clear is a VERY bad idea).

Chuck it now, while nobody's using it.

I'm thinking, replace that syntax with "[UTC] [/UTC] delimiters, or
optionally something like "[UTC+1]" (for, say, Biel) or "[UTC+5], in
case someone just wants to display time in another time zone instead
of in another system. So, "[UTC]" goes with NET time, and "[UTC+1]"
goes with Internet Time, and "[UTC+5]" gives you EST.

And here's where we can get a little cute....

I am NOT maintaining tables of what every politician in the world
thinks that local time should be (as in, "Daylight Savings Time"),
sorry.  Plus, the time changes on a Sunday- you can't even do it with
a date calculation.  However, the Date object in Javascript does
return local time by default, and can be coaxed into returning the
delta between that and UTC.  I don't know web stuff at all, but I
assume that the Javascript engine has to be getting that from the OS
that the browser is running on, and I'm more than happy to let
Shuttleworth, Jobs and Ballmer take that grief.

Still...

What I CAN do is implement a "[LOCAL+3]" syntax, so that if you're in
New York and your girl friend is in LA, and you want to display the
time where she is (somewhere in TW), you can use that syntax and it
will remain correct over the switch. That means you can display
correctly any current date and/or time in the world where the
difference from either Greenwich or your local time is static.

Doesn't help if you're in England and you want to display time in New
York, I know, it would have to be just changed manually, I can't get
time from a browser/OS running elsewhere... but it seems like the
right direction. It will delay things, of course (not that I have any
idea how long it WAS going to take), but it seems like it might
forestall more requests and make it more generally useful.